英国古典文学吧 关注:482贴子:46,046

回复:海军协定 回忆录系列 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

“这笔钱是从哪里来的呢?”
"Where did this money come from?"
“一切都正常。
"Everything is normal.
看门人刚领到年金,但他们却不象手头宽裕的样子。”
The janitors have just received an annuity, but they don't look like they are well off. "
“那天晚上费尔普斯先生按铃要咖啡,她上去应承,对这一点她怎么解释呢?”
"That night, Mr. phelps rang the bell for coffee, and she went up to answer it, how did she explain this?"
“她说,她丈夫非常疲惫,她愿替他代劳。”
"She said that her husband was very tired and she was willing to do it for him."
“对,过了一会就发现他睡在椅子上,这当然符合情况了。
"Yes, I found him sleeping in a chair after a while, which of course accords with the situation.


IP属地:天津127楼2022-10-08 08:35
回复
    那么说,除了这女人的品行不好以外,再没有任何别的罪证了。
    So, there is no other evidence except the woman's bad conduct.
    你没有问她,那天晚上她为什么那么匆忙离去吗?
    Didn't you ask her why she left in such a hurry that night?
    连警察都注意到她那慌张的神情了。”
    Even the police noticed her flustered expression. "
    “她那天已经比平常晚了,所以急于赶回家去。”
    "She was already later than usual that day, so she was anxious to get home."
    “你有没有给她指出来,你和费尔普斯先生至少比她晚动身二十分钟,却比她早到?”
    "Did you point out to her that you and Mr. phelps left at least twenty minutes later than her, but arrived earlier than her?"
    “她解释说,这是因为双轮双座马车比公共马车快。”
    "She explained that it was because the two-wheeled carriage was faster than the stagecoach."


    IP属地:天津128楼2022-10-08 09:01
    回复
      “她有没有说清楚,为什么到家以后,她跑进后厨房去?”
      "Did she make it clear why she ran into the back kitchen when she got home?"
      “她说,因为她的钱放在后厨房里,要取出来付给旧货商。”
      "She said that because her money was in the back kitchen, she had to take it out and pay it to the junk dealer."
      “她对每件事都作了答复。
      "She answered everything.
      你有没有问她,在她离开现场时,可曾遇到或是看见什么人在查尔斯街上徘徊?”
      Did you ask her if she met or saw anyone wandering in Charles Street when she left the scene? "
      “除了警察她谁也没有看见。”
      "She didn't see anyone but the police."
      “好,看来你对她盘问得很彻底。
      "Well, it seems that you questioned her thoroughly.
      你还采取了一些什么措施呢?”
      What other measures have you taken? "
      “这九个星期一直在监视职员戈罗特,但毫无结果。
      "This nine weeks have been monitoring staff Gorrote, but without results.
      我们也找不出他有什么嫌疑。”
      We can't find out what he is suspected of. "


      IP属地:天津129楼2022-10-08 09:26
      回复
        “还有什么?”
        "What else?"
        “啊,我们已无事可做,因为一点证据也没有。”
        "Ah, we have nothing to do, because there is no evidence at all."
        “你考虑没有电铃为什么会响呢?”
        "Why do you think there is no electric bell ringing?"
        “啊,我必须承认,这可把我难住了。
        "Ah, I have to admit, it stumped me.
        不管他是谁,也算是够大胆的了,不仅来了,而且还敢发出警报。”
        Whoever he is, he is bold enough to not only come, but also dare to sound an alarm. "
        “是的,这确实是件怪事。
        "Yes, this is really a strange thing.
        谢谢你告诉我们这些情况。
        Thank you for telling us this information.
        如果我要你去抓这个人,我会通知你的。
        If I want you to catch this man, I will inform you.
        华生,走吧。”
        Watson, go. "
        “我们现在到哪里去呢?”我们离开警厅时,我问他。
        "Where are we going now?" I asked him when we left the police station.
        “去走访霍尔德赫斯特勋爵,这位内阁大臣和未来的英国总理。”
        "To visit Lord Holdhurst, the cabinet minister and future British Prime Minister."


        IP属地:天津130楼2022-10-08 09:42
        回复
          很幸运,我们赶到唐宁街时,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵还在办公室。
          Fortunately, when we arrived at Downing Street, Lord Holdhurst was still in his office.
          福尔摩斯递进名片,我们立即被召见了。
          Holmes handed in his business card and we were immediately summoned.
          这位内阁大臣按旧式礼节接待了我们,把我们让到放在壁炉两旁豪华的安乐椅上,他站在我们中间的地毯上。
          The cabinet minister received us according to the old-fashioned etiquette, and put us in luxurious easy chairs on both sides of the fireplace. He stood on the carpet between us.
          此人身材修长、削瘦,轮廓分明,面容亲切,卷曲的头发过早地变成灰白色,显得异常气宇不凡,果然是一位显贵的贵族。
          This man is slender, thin, well-defined, with a kind face, and his curly hair turns gray prematurely, which makes him look unusually handsome. He is indeed a distinguished aristocrat.


          IP属地:天津131楼2022-10-08 10:07
          回复
            “久闻你的大名,福尔摩斯先生,”他满面笑容地说道,“当然,我不能对你们的来意装做不知。
            "I've heard your name for a long time, Mr Holmes," he said with a big smile, "of course, I can't pretend I don't know your purpose.
            因为本部仅有一件事能引起你的关注。
            Because there is only one thing in this department that can attract your attention.
            可否问问你是受谁委托前来办理这件案子的?”
            May I ask who entrusted you to handle this case? "
            “受珀西-费尔普斯先生之托,”福尔摩斯答道。
            "Entrusted by Mr Percy phelps," Holmes replied.
            “啊,我那不幸的外甥!
            "Oh, my unfortunate nephew!
            你当然明白,由于我们有亲属关系,我不能对他有丝毫包庇。
            Of course, you know, because we are related, I can't protect him at all.
            我担心这件意外事故对他的前途非常不利。”
            I'm afraid this accident is very bad for his future. "


            IP属地:天津132楼2022-10-08 10:44
            回复
              “可是如果找到这份文件呢?”
              "But what if this document is found?"
              “啊,那当然就是另一回事了。”
              "Ah, that's another matter, of course."
              “我有一两个问题想问问你,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵。”
              "I have one or two questions to ask you, Lord Holdhurst."
              “我很高兴尽我所知奉告。”
              "I'm happy to tell you to the best of my knowledge."
              “你就是在这间办公室里吩咐抄写文件的吗?”
              "Is it in this office that you ordered the copying of documents?"
              “是这样。”
              "That's right."
              “就是说你们的谈话很难被偷听吧?”
              "So it's hard to eavesdrop on your conversation?"
              “毫无偷听的可能。”
              "There is no possibility of eavesdropping."
              “你是否对任何人提到过,你打算叫人抄写这份协定?”
              "Have you mentioned to anyone that you intend to have this agreement copied?"
              “从来没有。”
              "Never."
              “你肯定这点吗?”
              "Are you sure about this?"
              “绝对肯定。”
              "Absolutely."


              IP属地:天津133楼2022-10-08 11:08
              回复
                “好,既然你从来没说过,费尔普斯也从来没说过,并且再没有别人知道这件事,那么,盗贼来到办公室就纯属偶然的了。
                "Well, since you never said it, and phelps never said it, and no one else knew about it, then it was purely accidental that the thief came to the office.
                他看到这是个机会,便顺手偷 走了文件。”
                He saw that this was an opportunity, so he stole the document. "
                这位内阁大臣笑了。
                The cabinet minister smiled.
                “你说的已经不在我的能力范围以内了。”霍尔德赫斯特勋爵说道。
                "What you said is beyond my ability." Lord Holhurst said.
                福尔摩斯沉思片刻。
                Holmes pondered for a moment.
                “还有另外极为重要的一点,我想和你商讨一下,”他说道,“据我所知,你担心这一协定的详情一经传出,就会带来极其严重的后果。”
                "There is another extremely important point, and I want to discuss it with you," he said, " ss far as I know, you are worried that the details of this agreement will bring about extremely serious consequences."


                IP属地:天津134楼2022-10-08 11:33
                回复
                  这位内阁大臣富有表情的脸上掠过一丝阴影,说道:“当然会有极其严重的后果。”
                  A shadow flitted across the cabinet minister's expressive face and said, " of course there will be extremely serious consequences."
                  “已经产生严重后果了吗?”
                  "Has it had serious consequences?"
                  “还没有。”
                  "Not yet."
                  “如果这份协定已经落到,比如说法国或俄国外交部手中,你认为你能听到音信吗?”
                  "Do you think you can hear the news if this agreement has fallen into the hands of, say, the French or Russian Foreign Ministry?"
                  “我一定能听到,”霍尔德赫斯特面色不快地说道。
                  "I'm sure I can hear it," Holdhurst said with an unhappy face.
                  “这么说,既然将近十个星期已经过去,一直没有听到消息,这就有根据设想,由于某种原因,协定还没有落到法、俄外交部手中。”
                  "So, since nearly ten weeks have passed and no news has been heard, it is based on the assumption that for some reason, the agreement has not yet fallen into the hands of the French and Russian foreign ministries."
                  霍尔德赫斯特勋爵耸耸双肩。
                  Lord Holhurst shrugged his shoulders.
                  “福尔摩斯先生,我们很难设想,盗贼偷走这份协定只是为了装进柜子,或是把它挂起来。”
                  "Mr. Holmes, it's hard for us to imagine that thieves stole this agreement just to put it in a cabinet or hang it up."
                  “或许他是在等待高价出售。”
                  "Maybe he is waiting for a high price to sell."


                  IP属地:天津135楼2022-10-08 12:02
                  回复
                    “如果他要再稍等一些日子,那文件就根本一文不值了。
                    "If he had to wait a few more days, the file would be worthless.
                    因为再过几个月,这份协定就不成其为秘密了。”
                    Because in a few months, this agreement won't be a secret. "
                    “这一点非常重要,”福尔摩斯说道,“当然,还可以设想,盗贼突然病倒了……”
                    "This is very important," Holmes said, "of course, it is conceivable that the thief suddenly fell ill ..."
                    “比如说,得了神经失常,是吗?”内阁大臣迅速扫了福尔摩斯一眼,问道。
                    "For example, you have a neurological disorder, don't you?" The minister quickly glanced at Holmes and asked.
                    “我并没有这样说,”福尔摩斯冷静地说道,“现在,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵,我们已经耽搁了你很多宝贵的时间,我们要向你告辞了。”
                    "I didn't say that," Holmes said calmly, "now, Lord Holdhurst, we've delayed a lot of your precious time, we're going to say goodbye to you."


                    IP属地:天津136楼2022-10-08 12:26
                    回复
                      “祝你成功地查出罪犯,不管他是谁。”这位贵族把我们送出门外,向我们点头说道。
                      "I wish you success in finding out the criminal, whoever he is." The nobleman saw us out of the door, nodded to us and said.
                      “他是一个杰出的人,”我们走到白厅街时,福尔摩斯说道,“不过他要保住他的官职,还要作一场斗争才行。
                      "He is an outstanding man," Holmes said when we reached Whitehall Street, " but he still has to fight to keep his office.
                      他远不富有,可是开销颇大。
                      He is far from rich, but he spends a lot of money.
                      你当然注意到了他的长统靴子已经换过鞋底了。
                      Of course you noticed that the soles of his boots had been changed.
                      现在,华生,我不再多耽误你的正经工作。
                      Now, Watson, I won't delay your serious work any more.
                      除非我那份寻找马车的广告有了回音,今天我就无事可作了。
                      Unless my advertisement for a carriage is answered, I have nothing to do today.
                      不过,如果你明天能和我一起乘昨天坐过的那一班车到沃金去,我还是感激不尽的。”
                      However, if you can take the same bus with me to Woking tomorrow, I'll be grateful. "


                      IP属地:天津137楼2022-10-08 12:51
                      回复
                        我们的委托人依然由他那位忠心的护理人精心照料,但看起来比以前好多了。
                        Our client is still carefully cared for by his loyal caregiver, but it looks much better than before.
                        我们一进门,他就毫不费力地从沙发上站起身来欢迎我们。
                        As soon as we entered the door, he got up from the sofa effortlessly to welcome us.
                        “有消息吗?”他迫不及待地问道。
                        "Any news?" he asked eagerly.
                        “正象我所预料的,我未能带来好消息。”
                        "As I expected, I failed to bring good news."
                        福尔摩斯说道,“我见到了福布斯,也见到了你的舅父,然而调查了一两个可能发现一些问题的线索。”
                        Holmes said, "I met Forbes and your uncle, but I investigated one or two clues that might lead to some problems."
                        “那么说,你还没有失去信心?”
                        "So, you haven't lost heart?"
                        “当然没有。”
                        "Of course not."


                        IP属地:天津139楼2022-10-08 13:59
                        回复
                          上帝保佑你!听到你这样说真叫人高兴,”哈里森小姐高声说道,“只要我们不失去勇气和耐性,就一定能查个水落石出。”
                          God bless you! I'm glad to hear that, "Miss Harrison said loudly," as long as we don't lose our courage and patience, we can find out the truth. "
                          “你对我们没有讲多少,可是我们却可以告诉你更多的情况。”费尔普斯重新坐到沙发上说道。
                          "You didn't tell us much, but we can tell you more." Phelps sat down on the sofa again and said.
                          “我希望你弄到了重要情况。”
                          "I hope you got something important."
                          “是的,昨晚我又遇到一件险事,的确是一件严重的事。”
                          "Yes, I had another dangerous thing last night, it was really a serious thing."


                          IP属地:天津140楼2022-10-08 14:23
                          回复
                            他说时表情非常严肃,双眼露出近乎恐怖的神色。
                            When he said it, his expression was very serious, and his eyes looked almost horrible.
                            “你可知道,”他说道,“我开始相信,我已不知不觉地成为一个罪恶阴谋的中心,而他们的目标不仅是我的荣誉,而且还有我的生命。”
                            "You know," he said, "I'm beginning to believe that I have unknowingly become the center of a criminal plot, and their goal is not only my honor, but also my life."
                            “啊!”福尔摩斯叫道。
                            "Ah!" cried Holmes.
                            “这似乎是难以置信的,因为就我所知,我在世上并没有一个仇敌。
                            "This seems incredible, because as far as I know, I don't have an enemy in the world.
                            可是从昨晚的经历看来,我只能得出有人要谋杀我的结论。”
                            But from last night's experience, I can only conclude that someone is trying to murder me. "
                            “请讲给我们听一听。”
                            "Please tell us about it."


                            IP属地:天津141楼2022-10-08 14:50
                            回复
                              “你知道,昨晚是我头一夜没叫人在房内护理我,自己一人独睡。
                              "You know, last night was my first night, and I didn't ask someone to nurse me in the room, so I slept alone.
                              我感觉非常好,觉得自己可以不需护理了。
                              I feel very good, and I feel that I can get rid of nursing care.
                              不过我夜晚还是点着灯。
                              But I still light the lamp at night.
                              啊,大约凌晨两点钟,我正睡意——,突然被一阵轻微的声响惊醒。
                              Ah, about two o'clock in the morning, I was sleepy when I was awakened by a slight noise.
                              那声音就象老鼠啮咬木板的声音一样。
                              That sound is like the sound of a mouse biting a plank.
                              于是我躺着静听了一阵,以为就是老鼠。
                              So I lay down and listened for a while, thinking it was a mouse.
                              后来声音越来越大,突然从窗上传来一阵刺耳的金属摩擦声。
                              Later, the sound became louder and louder, and suddenly there was a shrill sound of metal friction from the window.
                              我惊异地坐起来,确切无疑地明白了这是怎么回事。
                              I sat up in surprise and understood exactly what was going on.
                              头一阵声音是有人从两扇窗户缝隙间插进工具撬窗户的声音,第二阵是拉开窗闩的声音。
                              The first sound was the sound of someone inserting a tool into the gap between two windows to pry the window, and the second sound was the sound of opening the window latch.


                              IP属地:天津142楼2022-10-08 15:16
                              回复