英国古典文学吧 关注:481贴子:45,925

回复:海军协定 回忆录系列 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

“接着声音平息了十分钟左右,好象那人在等着瞧,这些声响是不是把我惊醒了。
"Then the sound died down for about ten minutes, as if the man was waiting to see if the sound woke me up.
接着我又听到轻轻的吱吱声,窗户被慢慢打开了。
Then I heard a gentle squeak, and the window was slowly opened.
因为我的神经已经不象往常一样,我再也忍不住了,便从床上跳起来,猛然拉开百叶窗。
Because my nerves were not as usual, I couldn't help it anymore, so I jumped out of bed and suddenly opened the blinds.
一个人正蹲伏在窗旁。
A man is crouching by the window.
转眼之间他就逃跑了,我没能看清他是谁,因为他头上戴着蒙面布,把面孔的下半部都蒙住了。
In a blink of an eye, he ran away, I couldn't see who he was, because he was wearing a masked cloth on his head, covering the lower half of his face.
我只能肯定一件事,那就是他手中拿着凶器。
I can only be sure of one thing, that is, he has a murder weapon in his hand.
我看是一把长刀。
I think it's a long knife.
在他转身逃跑时,我清楚地看到刀光闪闪。”
When he turned and fled, I clearly saw the knife shining. "


IP属地:天津143楼2022-10-08 15:45
回复
    “这非常重要,”福尔摩斯说道,“请问你后来怎么办了?”
    "This is very important," Holmes said.," what did you do afterwards?"
    “我要是身体硬朗一点儿,那一定要翻窗去追他。
    "If I were a little stronger, I must turn the window to chase him.
    可是那时我只能按铃把全家人叫醒。
    But then I had to ring the bell to wake up the whole family.
    这就耽误了一点时间,因为这铃装在厨房里,而仆人们又都睡在楼上。
    This delayed a little time, because the bell was installed in the kitchen, and the servants slept upstairs.
    不过,我大声喊叫,叫来了约瑟夫,他又把其他人叫醒。
    However, I shouted and called Joseph, and he woke the others up.
    约瑟夫和马夫在窗外花圃上发现了脚印,可是近来天气异常干燥,他们跟踪追查到草地,就再也找不到脚印了。
    Joseph and the groom found footprints in the flower bed outside the window, but the weather has been unusually dry recently, they traced them to the grass and couldn't find them again.
    然而,位于路边的木栅栏上,有一个地方有一些痕迹,他们告诉我说,好象有人从那儿翻过去,在翻越时把栏杆尖都碰断了。
    However, there is some trace in a place on the wooden fence by the side of the road, they told me that it seems that someone turned over there and broke the railing tips when crossing over.
    因为我想我最好先听取你的意见,所以还没有告诉本地警察。”
    Because I think I'd better listen to your opinion first, I haven't told the local police yet. "


    IP属地:天津144楼2022-10-08 16:05
    回复
      我们的委托人讲述的这段经历,显然在歇洛克-福尔摩斯身上产生了特别的作用。
      This experience told by our client obviously played a special role in Sherlock Holmes.
      他从椅上站起来,抑制不住内心的激动,在室内踱来踱去。
      He got up from his chair, couldn't restrain his excitement, and paced up and down the room.
      “真是祸不单行,”费尔普斯笑着说道,虽然这件险事显然使他有些受惊了。
      "It never rains but it pours," phelps said with a smile, although this adventure obviously frightened him a little.
      “你确实担着一份儿风险呢,”福尔摩斯说道,“你看能不能和我一起到宅院四周去散散步?”
      "You do take a risk," Holmes said. "Do you think you can go for a walk around the house with me?"
      “啊,可以,我愿意晒晒太阳。
      "Oh, yes, I'd like to bask in the sun.
      约瑟夫也一起去吧。”
      Let's go with Joseph. "
      “我也去,”哈里森小姐说道。
      "I'll go too," said Miss Harrison.


      IP属地:天津145楼2022-10-08 16:40
      回复
        “恐怕你还是不去为好,”福尔摩斯摇头说道,“我想我必须请你就留在这里。”
        "I'm afraid you'd better not go," Holmes said, shaking his head, "I think I must ask you to stay here."
        姑娘怏怏不乐地坐回原来的位置,而她哥哥则加入我们的行列中,于是我们四人一同出了门。
        The girl sat back to her original position, and her brother joined us, so the four of us went out together.
        我们走过草坪来到这位年轻外交家的窗外。
        We walked across the lawn to the young diplomat's window.
        正如他所讲的那样,花圃上的确有一些痕迹,可是已非常模糊不清无法辨认了。
        As he said, there are some marks on the flower bed, but it is too blurred to be recognized.
        福尔摩斯俯身看了一会儿,接着就耸耸肩站起身来。
        Holmes leaned over for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders and stood up.
        “我看谁也不能从这些痕迹上发现多少情况,”他说道,“我们到宅子四周走走看看盗贼为什么偏偏选中了这所房屋。
        "I don't think anyone can find much information from these traces," he said, " let's go around the house and see why the thieves chose this house.
        照我看来,这间客厅和餐室的大窗户应该对他更有诱惑力。”
        In my opinion, the large windows in the living room and dining room should be more attractive to him. "
        “可是那些窗户从大路上可以看得很清楚,”约瑟夫-哈里森先生提醒说。
        "But those windows can be seen clearly from the road," Mr. Joseph Harrison reminded.


        IP属地:天津146楼2022-10-08 17:13
        回复
          “啊,对,当然了。
          "Oh, yes, of course.
          可是这里有一道门,他完全可以从这里试一试。
          But there is a door here, and he can try it from here.
          这道门是干什么用的?”
          What is this door for? "
          “这是供商人进出的侧门。
          "This is a side door for businessmen to enter and exit.
          夜晚当然是锁上的。”
          Of course the night is locked. "
          “以前你受过象这样的惊吓吗?”
          "Have you ever been frightened like this before?"
          “从来没有,”我们的委托人说道。
          "Never," said our client.
          “你房子里有金银餐具或其它招引盗贼的东西吗?”
          "Do you have any gold and silver tableware or other things that attract thieves in your house?"
          “没有什么贵重的东西。”
          "There is nothing valuable."


          IP属地:天津147楼2022-10-08 17:34
          回复
            福尔摩斯双手插进衣袋,以一种从未有过的疏忽大意的神情,在房屋周围遛来遛去。
            Holmes put his hands in his pockets and walked around the house with an air of carelessness that he had never seen before.
            “顺便说一下,”福尔摩斯对约瑟夫-哈里森说道,“听说你发现一处地方,那个人从那儿翻越过栅栏。
            "By the way," Holmes said to Joseph Harrison, "I heard you found a place where the man climbed over the fence.
            让我们去看看!”
            Let's go and have a look! "
            这个矮胖的中年人把我们引到一处,那地方有一根木栏杆的尖被人碰断了。
            The stout middle-aged man led us to a place where the tip of a wooden railing was broken.
            一小段木片还在耷拉着。
            A small piece of wood is still drooping.
            福尔摩斯把它折断,注意地查看着。
            Holmes broke it and watched it carefully.


            IP属地:天津148楼2022-10-08 18:29
            回复
              “你认为这是昨天夜晚碰断的吗?
              "Do you think this was broken last night?
              这痕迹看来很陈旧,对吧?”
              This trace looks old, doesn't it? "
              “啊,可能是这样。”
              "Ah, it may be so."
              “这儿也没有从栅栏跳到外边去的脚印。
              "There are no footprints jumping from the fence to the outside.
              不,我看在这儿找不到什么线索,还是回卧室去商量商量吧。”
              No, I don't think I can find any clues here, let's go back to the bedroom and discuss it. "
              珀西-费尔普斯被未来的姻兄搀扶着,走得非常慢。
              Percy phelps was helped by his future brother-in-law and walked very slowly.
              福尔摩斯和我急速穿过草坪,回到卧室里开着的窗前,那两人还远远落在后面。
              Holmes and I hurried across the lawn and returned to the open window in the bedroom, the two men were still far behind.
              “哈里森小姐,”福尔摩斯非常严肃地说道,“你一定要整天守在这里不动。
              "Miss Harrison," Holmes said very seriously, "you must stay here all day.
              发生任何事情你也不要离开这里。
              Whatever happens, don't leave here.
              这是极端重要的。”
              This is extremely important. "


              IP属地:天津149楼2022-10-08 19:03
              回复
                “福尔摩斯先生,如果你要我这样作,我一定照办,”姑娘惊奇地说道。
                "Mr Holmes, if you want me to do this, I will do it," the girl said in surprise.
                “在你去睡觉前,请从外面把屋门锁上,自己拿着钥匙。
                "Before you go to bed, please lock the door from the outside and hold the key yourself.
                请答应我照这样去做。”
                Please promise me to do this. "
                “可是珀西呢?”
                "But what about Percy?"
                “他要和我们一起去伦敦。”
                "He's going to London with us."
                “那我留在这里吗?”
                "Then shall I stay here?"
                “这是为了他的原故。
                "This is for his sake.
                你可以给他帮很大的忙。
                You can help him a lot.
                快点! 快答应吧!”
                Hurry up! Say yes! "


                IP属地:天津150楼2022-10-08 19:36
                回复
                  她很快点了点头,表示应允,这时那两个人刚好走进屋来。
                  She nodded quickly, saying yes, when the two men just walked into the room.
                  “你为什么愁眉苦脸地坐在这里,安妮?”她哥哥高声喊道,“出去晒晒太阳吧!”
                  "Why are you sitting here with a long face, Annie?" her brother shouted loudly, " go out and bask in the sun!"
                  “不,谢谢你,约瑟夫。
                  "No, thank you, Joseph.
                  我有点头痛,这间屋子挺凉爽,正合我意。”
                  I have a headache, this room is quite cool, just what I want. "
                  “你现在有什么打算,福尔摩斯先生?”我们的委托人问道。
                  "What are your plans now, Mr. Holmes?" our client asked.
                  “啊,我们不能因为调查这件小事而失去主要调查目标。
                  "Ah, we can't lose the main investigation goal because of investigating this trivial matter.
                  如果你能和我们一起到伦敦去,那对我的帮助就很大了。”
                  If you can go to London with us, it will help me a lot. "


                  IP属地:天津151楼2022-10-08 20:05
                  回复
                    马上就走吗?”
                    Are you leaving right away? "
                    “对,你方便的话,越快越好,一小时内怎样?”
                    "Right, if it's convenient for you, the sooner the better, how about within an hour?"
                    “我感到身体非常硬朗了,我真能助你一臂之力吗?”
                    "I feel very strong. Can I really help you?"
                    “非常可能。”
                    "Very likely."
                    “大概你要我今晚住在伦敦吧?”
                    "Perhaps you want me to stay in London tonight?"
                    “我正打算建议你这样做。”
                    "I was going to suggest you do so."
                    “那么,如果我那位夜中之友再来拜访我,他就会扑空了。
                    "So, if my friend of the night comes to visit me again, he will fan the air.


                    IP属地:天津152楼2022-10-08 20:50
                    回复
                      福尔摩斯先生,我们一切听你吩咐,你一定要告诉我们你打算怎么办。
                      Mr. Holmes, everything is at your command, you must tell us what you intend to do.
                      或许你想让约瑟夫和我们一起去,以便照顾我?”
                      Maybe you want Joseph to come with us to take care of me? "
                      “啊,不必了,你知道我的朋友华生是医生,他会照顾你的。
                      "Oh, no, you know my friend Watson is a doctor, he will take care of you.
                      如果你答应这么办,那我们就在这里吃午餐,饭后三人一同进城。”
                      If you promise to do so, then we'll have lunch here, and the three of us will go to town together after dinner. "
                      一切都照他的建议安排停当,只有哈里森小姐按照福尔摩斯的意见,找个借口留在这间卧室里。
                      Everything was arranged according to his suggestion, except Miss Harrison, who made an excuse to stay in this bedroom according to Holmes' advice.
                      我想象不出我的朋友究竟耍的什么花招,莫不是他想让那位姑娘离开费尔普斯?
                      I can't imagine what trick my friend is playing, except that he wants that girl to leave phelps.


                      IP属地:天津153楼2022-10-08 21:15
                      回复
                        费尔普斯正因为已经恢复了健康并期望参加行动,高高兴兴地和我们一起在餐室进午餐。
                        Just because phelps has recovered and is looking forward to taking part in the action, he is happy to have lunch with us in the dining room.
                        但是,福尔摩斯还有一件更使我们大为吃惊的事,因为他在陪同我们到车站并送我们上车以后,不慌不忙地声明说,他不打算离开沃金了。
                        However, there is another thing that surprised us even more, because after he accompanied us to the station and dropped us off at the bus, Holmes said unhurriedly that he was not going to leave Woking.


                        IP属地:天津154楼2022-10-08 21:41
                        回复
                          “在我走以前,有一两件小事我要弄清楚。”
                          "Before I go, there are one or two little things I want to find out."
                          他说道,“费尔普斯先生,你不在这里,在某种程度上反而对我更有利。
                          He said, "Mr. phelps, it's more beneficial to me to some extent that you're not here.
                          华生,你们到伦敦以后,你一定答应我,立即和我们的朋友一同乘车到贝克街去,一直等到我再见到你们为止。
                          ”Watson, when you arrive in London, you must promise me that you will immediately take a bus to Baker Street with our friends until I see you again.
                          好在你们两人是老同学,一定有许多事可以谈的。
                          Fortunately, you two are old classmates, there must be many things to talk about.
                          今晚费尔普斯先生可以住在我那间卧室里。我明天早晨乘八点钟的火车到滑铁卢车站,赶得上和你们一起进早餐。
                          Mr phelps can stay in my bedroom tonight, I'll take the eight o'clock train to Waterloo Station tomorrow morning, so that I can have breakfast with you. "


                          IP属地:天津155楼2022-10-08 22:02
                          回复
                            “可是我们在伦敦进行调查的事怎么办呢?”费尔普斯沮丧地问道。
                            "But what about our investigation in London?" Phelps asked in frustration.
                            “我们明天可以做这些事。
                            "We can do these things tomorrow.
                            我想我现在留在这里正是十分必要的。”
                            I think it is necessary for me to stay here now. "
                            “你回布里尔布雷去后可以告诉他们说,我想明天晚上回去,”我们的火车刚要离开月台时,费尔普斯喊道。
                            "When you go back to Brirbray, you can tell them that I want to go back tomorrow evening," phelps shouted as our train was about to leave the platform.
                            “我不一定回布里尔布雷去,”福尔摩斯答道,在我们的火车离站时,他向我们高高兴兴地挥手致意。
                            "I don't have to go back to Brierbury," Holmes replied, waving to us happily as our train left the station.
                            费尔普斯和我一路上都在谈论这件事,可是谁也不能对他这个新行动想出一个令人满意的理由来。
                            Phelps and I talked about it all the way, but no one could come up with a satisfactory reason for his new action.
                            “我猜想,他是想找出昨夜盗窃案的线索,如果真有盗贼的话。
                            "I guess, he is trying to find clues to the theft last night, if there are thieves.
                            至于我自己,我决不相信那是一个普通的盗贼。”
                            As for myself, I will never believe that it is an ordinary thief. "
                            “那么,你自己的意见是什么呢?”
                            "So, what is your own opinion?"


                            IP属地:天津156楼2022-10-08 22:23
                            回复
                              “老实说,不管你是否把它归结为我的神经脆弱,可是我相信,在我周围正进行着某种隐秘的政治阴谋,并且由于某种我不能理解的原因,这些阴谋家想谋害我的性命。
                              "To be honest, no matter whether you attribute it to my nervous weakness or not, I believe that there is some secret political conspiracy going on around me, and for some reason that I can't understand, these conspirators want to kill me.
                              这听起来似乎有些夸张和荒谬,可是请考虑一下事实吧!
                              This sounds exaggerated and absurd, but please consider the facts!
                              为什么盗 贼竟想撬开无物可盗的卧室的窗户?
                              Why do thieves want to pry open the bedroom window with nothing to steal?
                              他又为什么手中拿着长刀呢?”
                              Why is he holding a long knife in his hand? "


                              IP属地:天津157楼2022-10-08 22:45
                              回复