英国古典文学吧 关注:481贴子:45,925

回复:海军协定 回忆录系列 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

“我非常愿意听你指点一二,”这位侦探改变了态度说道,“到目前为止我从办案中的确还没有获得过荣誉呢。”
"I'm very willing to listen to your advice," said the detective, changing his attitude, "so far, I really haven't won any honor from handling cases."
“你采取过什么措施呢?”
"What measures have you taken?"
“一直在盯看门人坦盖的梢,但他离开警卫队时名声很好,我们也找不到什么嫌疑。
"I've been staring at the doorman's tip, but he left the guard with a good reputation, and we couldn't find any suspicion.
不过他妻子是一个坏家伙,我想,她对这件事知道很多,并不象她表面上装的那样。”
But his wife is a bad guy, and I think she knows a lot about it, not as she pretends. "


IP属地:天津97楼2022-10-02 20:00
回复
    “你跟踪过她吗?”
    "Have you followed her?"
    “我们派了一个女侦探跟踪她。
    "We sent a female detective to follow her.
    坦盖太太好饮酒,女侦探就趁她高兴陪她饮酒,可是从她身上一无所获。”
    Mrs. Gai likes drinking, so the female detective took advantage of her pleasure to drink with her, but got nothing from her. "
    “我听说有一些旧货商到过她家?”
    "I heard that some junk dealers have been to her house?"
    “是的,可是她已偿清了欠他们的债务。”
    "Yes, but she has paid off her debts to them."
    “这笔钱是从哪里来的呢?”
    "Where did this money come from?"
    “一切都正常。
    "Everything is normal.
    看门人刚领到年金,但他们却不象手头宽裕的样子。”
    The janitors have just received an annuity, but they don't look like they are well off. "
    “那天晚上费尔普斯先生按铃要咖啡,她上去应承,对这一点她怎么解释呢?”
    "That night, Mr. phelps rang the bell for coffee, and she went up to answer it, how did she explain this?"
    “她说,她丈夫非常疲惫,她愿替他代劳。”
    "She said that her husband was very tired and she was willing to do it for him."
    “对,过了一会就发现他睡在椅子上,这当然符合情况了。
    "Yes, I found him sleeping in a chair after a while, which of course accords with the situation.
    那么说,除了这女人的品行不好以外,再没有任何别的罪证了。
    So, there is no other evidence except the woman's bad conduct.
    你没有问她,那天晚上她为什么那么匆忙离去吗?
    Didn't you ask her why she left in such a hurry that night?
    连警察都注意到她那慌张的神情了。”
    Even the police noticed her flustered expression. "


    IP属地:天津98楼2022-10-02 20:30
    回复
      “她那天已经比平常晚了,所以急于赶回家去。”
      "She was already later than usual that day, so she was anxious to get home."
      “你有没有给她指出来,你和费尔普斯先生至少比她晚动身二十分钟,却比她早到?”
      "Did you point out to her that you and Mr. phelps left at least twenty minutes later than her, but arrived earlier than her?"
      “她解释说,这是因为双轮双座马车比公共马车快。”
      "She explained that it was because the two-wheeled carriage was faster than the stagecoach."
      “她有没有说清楚,为什么到家以后,她跑进后厨房去?”
      "Did she make it clear why she ran into the back kitchen when she got home?"
      “她说,因为她的钱放在后厨房里,要取出来付给旧货商。”
      "She said that because her money was in the back kitchen, she had to take it out and pay it to the junk dealer."
      “她对每件事都作了答复。
      "She answered everything.
      你有没有问她,在她离开现场时,可曾遇到或是看见什么人在查尔斯街上徘徊?”
      Did you ask her if she met or saw anyone wandering in Charles Street when she left the scene? "
      “除了警察她谁也没有看见。”
      "She didn't see anyone but the police."
      “好,看来你对她盘问得很彻底。
      "Well, it seems that you questioned her thoroughly.
      你还采取了一些什么措施呢?”
      What other measures have you taken? "
      “这九个星期一直在监视职员戈罗特,但毫无结果。
      "This nine weeks have been monitoring staff Gorrote, but without results.
      我们也找不出他有什么嫌疑。”
      We can't find out what he is suspected of. "


      IP属地:天津99楼2022-10-02 21:02
      回复
        “还有什么?”
        "What else?"
        “啊,我们已无事可做,因为一点证据也没有。”
        "Ah, we have nothing to do, because there is no evidence at all."
        “你考虑没有电铃为什么会响呢?”
        "Why do you think there is no electric bell ringing?"
        “啊,我必须承认,这可把我难住了。
        "Ah, I have to admit, it stumped me.
        不管他是谁,也算是够大胆的了,不仅来了,而且还敢发出警报。”
        Whoever he is, he is bold enough to not only come, but also dare to sound an alarm. "
        “是的,这确实是件怪事。
        "Yes, this is really a strange thing.
        谢谢你告诉我们这些情况。
        Thank you for telling us this information.
        如果我要你去抓这个人,我会通知你的。
        If I want you to catch this man, I will inform you.
        华生,走吧。”
        Watson, go. "
        “我们现在到哪里去呢?”我们离开警厅时,我问他。
        "Where are we going now?" I asked him when we left the police station.
        “去走访霍尔德赫斯特勋爵,这位内阁大臣和未来的英国总理。”
        "To visit Lord Holdhurst, the cabinet minister and future British Prime Minister."


        IP属地:天津100楼2022-10-02 21:50
        回复
          很幸运,我们赶到唐宁街时,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵还在办公室。
          Fortunately, when we arrived at Downing Street, Lord Holdhurst was still in his office.
          福尔摩斯递进名片,我们立即被召见了。
          Holmes handed in his business card and we were immediately summoned.
          这位内阁大臣按旧式礼节接待了我们,把我们让到放在壁炉两旁豪华的安乐椅上,他站在我们中间的地毯上。
          The cabinet minister received us according to the old-fashioned etiquette, and put us in luxurious easy chairs on both sides of the fireplace. He stood on the carpet between us.
          此人身材修长、削瘦,轮廓分明,面容亲切,卷曲的头发过早地变成灰白色,显得异常气宇不凡,果然是一位显贵的贵族。
          This man is slender, thin, well-defined, with a kind face, and his curly hair turns gray prematurely, which makes him look unusually handsome. He is indeed a distinguished aristocrat.


          IP属地:天津101楼2022-10-02 22:11
          回复
            “久闻你的大名,福尔摩斯先生,”他满面笑容地说道,“当然,我不能对你们的来意装做不知。
            "I've heard your name for a long time, Mr Holmes," he said with a big smile, "of course, I can't pretend I don't know your purpose.
            因为本部仅有一件事能引起你的关注。
            Because there is only one thing in this department that can attract your attention.
            可否问问你是受谁委托前来办理这件案子的?”
            May I ask who entrusted you to handle this case? "
            “受珀西-费尔普斯先生之托,”福尔摩斯答道。
            "Entrusted by Mr Percy phelps," Holmes replied.


            IP属地:天津102楼2022-10-02 22:37
            回复
              “啊,我那不幸的外甥!
              "Oh, my unfortunate nephew!
              你当然明白,由于我们有亲属关系,我不能对他有丝毫包庇。
              Of course, you know, because we are related, I can't protect him at all.
              我担心这件意外事故对他的前途非常不利。”
              I'm afraid this accident is very bad for his future. "
              “可是如果找到这份文件呢?”
              "But what if this document is found?"
              “啊,那当然就是另一回事了。”
              "Ah, that's another matter, of course."
              “我有一两个问题想问问你,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵。”
              "I have one or two questions to ask you, Lord Holdhurst."
              “我很高兴尽我所知奉告。”
              "I'm happy to tell you to the best of my knowledge."
              “你就是在这间办公室里吩咐抄写文件的吗?”
              "Is it in this office that you ordered the copying of documents?"
              “是这样。”
              "That's right."
              “就是说你们的谈话很难被偷听吧?”
              "So it's hard to eavesdrop on your conversation?"
              “毫无偷听的可能。”
              "There is no possibility of eavesdropping."


              IP属地:天津103楼2022-10-02 22:52
              回复
                “你是否对任何人提到过,你打算叫人抄写这份协定?”
                "Have you mentioned to anyone that you intend to have this agreement copied?"
                “从来没有。”
                "Never."
                “你肯定这点吗?”
                "Are you sure about this?"
                “绝对肯定。”
                "Absolutely."
                “好,既然你从来没说过,费尔普斯也从来没说过,并且再没有别人知道这件事,那么,盗贼来到办公室就纯属偶然的了。
                "Well, since you never said it, and phelps never said it, and no one else knew about it, then it was purely accidental that the thief came to the office.
                他看到这是个机会,便顺手偷走了文件。”
                He saw that this was an opportunity, so he stole the document. "
                这位内阁大臣笑了。
                The cabinet minister smiled.
                “你说的已经不在我的能力范围以内了。”霍尔德赫斯特勋爵说道。
                "What you said is beyond my ability." Lord Holhurst said.


                IP属地:天津104楼2022-10-02 23:14
                回复
                  “你的建议非常妙,哈里森小姐,”福尔摩斯站起身来说道,“我想,华生,我们不能再有更好的办法了。
                  "Your suggestion is wonderful, Miss Harrison," Holmes said, standing up, "I think, Watson, we can't have a better idea.
                  费尔普斯先生,你不要抱过高的奢望。
                  Mr. phelps, don't expect too much.
                  这件事是非常扑朔迷离的。”
                  This matter is very confusing. "
                  “我焦急万分地等着再和你见面。”这位外交人员大声说道。
                  "I'm anxiously waiting to meet you again." The diplomat exclaimed.
                  “好,虽然未必能带给你什么好消息,明天我还是乘这班车来看你。”
                  "Well, although it may not bring you any good news, I'll take this bus to see you tomorrow."


                  IP属地:天津105楼2022-10-07 13:24
                  回复
                    “愿上帝保佑你成功,”我们的委托人高声叫道,“我知道正在采取措施,这就给了我新生的力量。
                    "May God bless your success," our client cried loudly, "I know that measures are being taken, which gives me new strength.
                    顺便说一下,我接到霍尔德赫斯特勋爵的一封信。”
                    By the way, I received a letter from Lord Holdhurst. "
                    “啊! 他说了些什么?”
                    "Ah! What did he say? "
                    “他表示冷淡,但并不严厉。
                    "He expressed indifference, but he was not strict.


                    IP属地:天津106楼2022-10-07 13:45
                    回复
                      我断定是因为我重病在身他才没有苛责我。
                      I concluded that he didn't scold me because I was seriously ill.
                      他反复说事关绝密,又说除非我恢复了健康,有机会补救我的过失,我的前程——当然他是指我被革职——是无法挽回的。”
                      He repeatedly said that things were confidential, and said that unless I recovered and had the opportunity to remedy my mistakes, my future-of course, he meant my dismissal-could not be redeemed. "


                      IP属地:天津107楼2022-10-07 14:08
                      回复
                        “啊,这是合情合理而又考虑周到的,”福尔摩斯说道,“走啊,华生,我们在城里还有一整天的工作要做呢。”
                        "Ah, this is reasonable and thoughtful," said Holmes, " come on, Watson, we have a whole day's work to do in the city."
                        约瑟夫-哈里森先生用马车把我们送到火车站,我们很快搭上了去朴次茅斯的火车。
                        Mr. Joseph Harrison took us to the railway station in a carriage, and we quickly caught the train to Portsmouth.
                        福尔摩斯沉浸于深思之中,一直缄默无言,直到我们过了克拉彭枢纽站,才张口说话:“无论走哪条铁路线进伦敦,都能居高临下地看到这样一些房子,这真是一件令人非常高兴的事。”
                        Holmes was immersed in deep thought and remained silent until we passed the clapham hub station, before opening our mouths and saying, " no matter which railway line we take into London, it's really a great pleasure to see such houses from a commanding height."


                        IP属地:天津108楼2022-10-07 14:41
                        回复
                          我以为他是在说笑话,因为这景色实在不堪入目,可是他立即解释道:“你看那一片孤立的大房子,它们矗立于青石之上,就象铅灰色海洋中的砖瓦之岛一般。”
                          I thought he was joking, because the scenery was really unsightly, but he immediately explained, " look at that big isolated house, which stands on bluestone, like a brick island in a leaden sea."
                          “那是一些寄宿学校。”
                          "That's some boarding schools."
                          “那是灯塔,我的伙计!
                          "That's the lighthouse, my man!
                          未来的灯塔!
                          The beacon of the future!
                          每一座灯塔里都装满千百颗光辉灿烂的小种子,将来英国在他们这一代将更加明智富强,我想,费尔普斯这个人不会饮酒吧?”
                          Every lighthouse is filled with thousands of brilliant seeds, in the future, Britain will be wiser and stronger in their generation, I don't think phelps is a drinker, is he? "


                          IP属地:天津109楼2022-10-07 15:03
                          回复
                            “我想他不会饮酒。”
                            "I don't think he will drink."
                            “我也这样想,可是我们应该把一切可能都预料到。
                            "I think so, too, but we should anticipate everything.
                            这可怜的人已陷入水深火热之中,问题是我们有没有能力救他上岸。
                            The poor man is in hot water, the question is whether we can save him ashore.
                            你认为哈里森小姐怎么样?”
                            What do you think of Miss Harrison? "
                            “她是一个性格刚强的姑娘。”
                            "She is a girl with a strong character."


                            IP属地:天津110楼2022-10-07 15:31
                            回复
                              “对,可她是一个好人,不然就是我看错了。
                              "Yes, but she is a good person, or I was wrong.
                              她和她的哥哥是诺森伯兰附近一个铁器制造商的仅有的两个孩子。
                              She and her brother are the only two children of an ironmaker near northumberland.
                              去冬旅行时,费尔普斯与她订了婚,她哥哥陪同她前来和费尔普斯家里人见面。
                              When traveling last winter, phelps was engaged to her, and her brother accompanied her to meet phelps's family.
                              正好出了这件不幸的事,她便留下来照顾未婚夫,她的哥哥约瑟夫-哈里森发觉这里相当舒适,便也留下来。
                              When this unfortunate incident happened, she stayed to take care of her fiance, her brother Joseph Harrison found it quite comfortable here, so he stayed.
                              你看,我已经做了一些单独的调查。
                              Look, I've done some separate investigations.
                              不过今天一天,我必须进行调查工作。”
                              But today, I have to do an investigation. "


                              IP属地:天津111楼2022-10-07 16:25
                              回复