英国古典文学吧 关注:482贴子:46,243

回复:失踪的中卫 归来记 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

我不知道莱斯利·阿姆斯昌的名字,这说明我和医学界人士联系得太少了。
I don't know the name of Leslie Amschang, which shows that I have too little contact with medical professionals.
现在我才知道,他不仅是剑桥大学医学院的负责人之一,而且在不少学科上都造诣很深,是个名扬欧洲的学者。
Now I know that he is not only one of the leaders of the Medical School of Cambridge University, but also a well-known scholar in Europe, who has profound achievements in many disciplines.
一个人即使不知道他的光辉成就,看到他时也一定会得到很深的印象:方方正正的胖脸庞,浓眉下长着一双阴郁的眼睛,倔强的下巴象是用大理石雕刻出来的。
Even if a person does not know his brilliant achievements, he will be deeply impressed when he sees him: a square fat face, a pair of dark eyes under thick eyebrows, and a stubborn chin like carved out of marble.
我认为阿姆斯昌大夫是个性格阴沉、头脑敏捷、冷酷无情、能够吃苦、善于自制、而且很难对付的人。
I think Dr. Amschang is a man with a gloomy personality, quick mind, ruthlessness, ability to endure hardships, good self-control, and difficult to deal with.
他手中拿着我朋友的名片,抬起头来看看,脸上没有一点喜悦的感情。
He held my friend's business card in his hand and looked up, there was no joy on his face.


IP属地:天津46楼2023-02-25 15:27
回复
    “歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生,我听到过你的名字,也了解你的职业——这种职业我是绝对不赞成的。”
    "Mr. Sherlock Holmes, I have heard your name and know your occupation - this occupation I absolutely disapprove of."
    我的朋友安详地说:“这样你便在无形中支持了全国的每一个罪 犯。”
    My friend said calmly, "In this way, you will support every criminal in the country invisibly."


    IP属地:天津47楼2023-02-25 15:46
    回复
      2025-06-11 16:15:27
      广告
      “您致力于制止犯罪,这会得到社会上每个通情达理的人的协助,不过,我深信官方机构完全可以办好这种事。
      "You are committed to stopping crime, which will be assisted by every reasonable person in the society, however, I am convinced that the official institutions can do this kind of thing well.
      可是你所做的事,却常常受到非议,你刺探到私人的秘密、家庭的私事,本应遮掩,你却把它宣扬出去,而且你有时打搅比你忙得多的人。
      But what you do is often criticized, you spy on private secrets and family affairs, which should be covered up, but you publicize it, and you sometimes disturb people who are much busier than you.
      例如,现在我应当写论文而不是和你谈话。”
      For example, now I should write a paper instead of talking to you."


      IP属地:天津48楼2023-02-25 16:51
      回复
        “大夫,你说的也许是对的,可是事实将会证明我们的谈话比你的论文更重要。
        "Doctor, what you said may be right, but the fact will prove that our talk is more important than your paper.
        我可以顺便告诉你,我所做的事和你所指责的完全相反,我们尽力防止私人事件公之于众,可是事情落到警察手中,便必然会宣扬出去。
        I can tell you by the way that what I have done is completely contrary to what you have accused, we try to prevent private events from being made public, but when it falls into the hands of the police, it is bound to be publicized.
        我象是一支非正规的先遣队,走在正规军前面。
        I am like an unofficial advance team, walking in front of the regular army.
        我来是向你了解高夫利·斯道顿先生的情况。”
        I came to learn about Mr. Gavley Storton from you Situation. "


        IP属地:天津49楼2023-02-25 17:31
        回复
          “他怎么了?”
          "What's wrong with him?"
          “你不认识他吗?”
          "Don't you know him?"
          “他是我的密友。”
          "He is my close friend."
          “你知道他失踪了吗?”
          "Do you know he is missing?"
          “真的吗?"看不出大夫肥胖的面孔上有任何表情的变化。
          "Really?" I can't see any change in the doctor's fat face.
          “他昨天夜里离开了旅馆,就再也没有消息。”
          "He left the hotel last night and never heard from him again."
          “他准会回来的。”
          "He will come back."
          “明天就要举行大学橄榄球比赛。”
          "There will be a college football match tomorrow."


          IP属地:天津50楼2023-02-25 19:16
          回复
            “我不喜欢这种孩子们的比赛。
            "I don't like this kind of children's game.
            我很关心斯道顿的情况,因为我认识他,也喜欢他。
            I am very concerned about the situation of Storton because I know him and like him.
            我不管什么橄榄球比赛举行还是不举行。”
            I don't care whether any football game is held or not."
            “我是在调查斯道顿先生的情况,所以请你帮助。
            "I'm investigating Mr. Storton's situation, so please help me.
            你知道他在哪儿吗?”
            Do you know where he is?"
            “我不知道。”
            "I don't know."
            “昨天以来你没有见到他吗?”
            "Haven't you seen him since yesterday?"
            “没有。”
            "No."
            “斯道顿先生身体很健康吗?”
            "Is Mr. Storton in good health?"
            “十分健康。”
            "Very healthy."
            “他生过病吗?”
            "Has he ever been ill?"
            “从来没有过。”
            "Never."


            IP属地:天津51楼2023-02-25 19:45
            回复
              福尔摩斯突然拿出一张单据摆在大夫眼前。"
              Holmes suddenly took out a bill and put it in front of the doctor. "
              那么,请您解释一下这张十三个畿尼的单据,是斯道顿上月付给剑桥的阿姆斯昌大夫的。
              Then, please explain that this receipt of thirteen guineas was paid by Storton to Dr. Amschang in Cambridge last month.
              我从他桌子上的文件中看到了这张单据。”
              I saw this receipt from the document on his desk."
              大夫气得脸都红了。
              The doctor turned red with anger.
              “福尔摩斯先生,我觉得没有必要给你解释。”
              "Mr. Holmes, I don't think it's necessary to explain to you."


              IP属地:天津52楼2023-02-25 20:35
              回复
                福尔摩斯把单据又夹在他的笔记本里。
                Holmes put the bill in his notebook again.
                他说:“如果你愿意当众解释,你就等着,这一天总会来的。
                He said, "If you are willing to explain in public, you should wait, this day will come.
                我已经告诉过你,别的侦探必定传扬出去的事,我可以遮掩下来。
                I have told you that other detectives must spread the news, and I can cover it up.
                如果你放聪明一点,那你就应该告诉我一切。”
                If you are smart, you should tell me everything."
                “我什么也不知道。”
                "I don't know anything."
                “斯道顿在伦敦给你写过信吗?”
                "Did Storton write to you in London?"
                “没有。”
                "No."


                IP属地:天津53楼2023-02-25 21:28
                回复
                  2025-06-11 16:09:27
                  广告
                  福尔摩斯不耐烦地叹了一口气说:“唉,邮局的事又来了!
                  Holmes sighed impatiently and said, "alas, the post office is coming again!
                  昨天晚上六点十五分,斯道顿从伦敦给你发来紧急电报,毫无疑问,这个电报和他的失踪有关,可是,你没有收到。
                  At 6:15 last night, Storton sent you an urgent telegram from London, there is no doubt that this telegram is related to his disappearance, but you did not receive it.
                  邮局太疏忽了!
                  The post office is too careless!
                  我一定要去邮局责问他们。”
                  I must go to the post office to ask them."
                  阿姆斯昌大夫突然从桌子后面站起来了,他的黑脸庞由于生气变成了紫红色。
                  Dr. Armstrong suddenly stood up from behind the table, and his black face turned purple with anger.


                  IP属地:天津54楼2023-02-25 22:17
                  回复
                    他说:“先生,劳驾,我请你走出去。
                    He said, "Sir, excuse me, I ask you to go out.
                    你可以告诉你的当事人蒙特·詹姆士爵士,我不愿意和他本人以及他的代理人有什么联系。
                    You can tell your client Sir Monte James that I don't want to have any contact with him and his agent.
                    先生,一句话也不要再说了。"
                    Sir, don't say a word."
                    他愤怒地摇了摇铃。
                    He rang the bell angrily.
                    "约翰,把这两位先生送出去。"
                    "John, send the two gentlemen out."
                    一个肥胖的管家严肃地把我们领出大门。
                    A fat butler led us out of the door seriously.
                    我们到了街上,福尔摩斯笑起来了。
                    When we reached the street, Holmes laughed.


                    IP属地:天津55楼2023-02-25 22:39
                    回复
                      他说:“阿姆斯昌大夫是个很倔强的人,我看只有他最适合于解决著名的学者莫阿蒂大夫所遗留下来的问题。
                      He said: "Dr. Amschang is a very stubborn person, and I think he is the only one who is most suitable for solving the problems left by the famous scholar Dr. Moati.
                      华生,我们现在困在了这个举目无亲的城镇里,可是不调查完这个案件我们是不能离开的。
                      Watson, we are now trapped in this unknown town, but we can't leave without investigating the case.
                      对着阿姆斯昌家的那个小旅馆很适合我们住,你去订一间临街的房间,并且买一些晚上需用的东西。我利用这个时间做些调查。”
                      The small hotel opposite Amschang's house is very suitable for us to stay,you can book a room facing the street and buy some things for the evening. I use this Take time to do some research. "


                      IP属地:天津56楼2023-02-25 22:59
                      回复
                        然而,这些调查所用去的时间,比福尔摩斯原来想的要长得多,一直到晚上九点钟他才回到旅馆。
                        However, these investigations took much longer than Holmes had originally thought, and he did not return to the hotel until nine o'clock in the evening.
                        他面色发白,精神沮丧,满身是土,并且又饿又累。
                        He was pale, depressed, dusty, hungry and tired.
                        摆在桌子上的晚餐已经凉了。
                        The dinner on the table is cold.
                        他吃过饭,点上烟斗,正要谈谈他幽默的而又富有哲学意味的意见的时候——事情不顺利的时候,他总是这样谈话——马车车轮的声音使他站了起来,我们同时向窗外望去,只见在煤气灯的光亮下,一辆四轮马车,由两起灰马拉着,停在了大夫的门前。
                        After eating, he lit his pipe and was about to talk about his humorous and philosophical opinions - he always talked like this when things were not going well - the sound of the carriage wheels made him stand up, and we looked out of the window at the same time, in the light of the gas lamp, a four-wheeled carriage, pulled by two gray horses, stopped at the doctor's door.


                        IP属地:天津57楼2023-02-25 23:41
                        回复
                          福尔摩斯说:“马车是六点半出去的,过了三个小时回来,那么可以走十到十二里,他每天出去一次,有时是两次。”
                          Holmes said, " the carriage went out at half past six, after three hours, he could walk ten to twelve miles, he went out once a day, sometimes twice."
                          “大夫出诊是经常的事。”
                          "Doctors' visits are frequent."


                          IP属地:天津58楼2023-02-26 09:42
                          回复
                            “可是阿姆斯昌并不是个一般的出诊大夫。
                            "But Armstrong is not an ordinary visiting doctor. He is a lecturer and consultant.
                            他是个讲师和会诊医生,不看一般的病症,看病妨碍他的研究工作。
                            He doesn't see ordinary diseases, and seeing a doctor hinders his research work.
                            为什么他不厌其烦地去这么远的地方,他找的人又是谁呢?”
                            Why does he bother to go so far away, and who is he looking for?"
                            “他的马车夫……”
                            "His coachman..."


                            IP属地:天津59楼2023-02-26 10:04
                            回复
                              2025-06-11 16:03:27
                              广告
                              “亲爱的华生,你想不到我最初是要找这个马车夫了解情况吧?
                              "Dear Watson, do you think I was looking for the coachman to know the situation at first?
                              也不知道是由于他的下流无耻还是由于他主人的唆使,他竟然无礼地朝着我放出狗来。
                              I don't know whether it was because of his indecency and shamelessness or because of the instigation of his master, he unexpectedly sent the dog at me rudely.
                              不管是人还是狗全不喜欢我的样子,不管怎么说吧,事情没办成。
                              Neither people nor dogs liked my appearance, anyway, it didn't work out.
                              关系紧张以后,也就无法进行调查了。
                              After the relationship was tense, it couldn't be investigated.
                              我从一个和蔼的本地人那里,打听到一些情况,他就在这个旅馆工作。
                              I learned some information from an amiable local, he works in this hotel.
                              是他告诉了我关于大夫的生活习惯和他天天出去的情况。
                              It was he who told me about the doctor's living habits and his going out every day.
                              我们正说着,马车就到了门前,刚好证明他说的话是对的。”
                              As we were talking, the carriage came to the door, just to prove that what he said was right. "


                              IP属地:天津60楼2023-02-26 10:07
                              回复