英国古典文学吧 关注:483贴子:46,231

回复:失踪的中卫 归来记 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

只看楼主收藏回复

他问:“先生,你是谁?
He asked, "Sir, who are you?
你有什么权力动这些文件呢?”
What power do you have to move these documents?"
“我是个私人侦探,我正努力弄清他为什么会失踪。”
"I'm a private detective. I'm trying to find out why he disappeared."
“你是侦探?
"Are you a detective?
谁请你来的?”
Who invited you?"
“这位先生,斯道顿的朋友。
"This gentleman is a friend of Storton.
他是苏格兰场介绍给我的。”
He was introduced to me by Scotland Yard."
“先生,你是谁呢?”
"Who are you, sir?"
“我是西锐利·欧沃顿。”
"I'm Ciri Orwaton."


IP属地:天津31楼2023-02-19 19:11
回复
    “那么,是你给我拍了一封电报吗?
    "So, did you send me a telegram?
    我是蒙特·詹姆士爵士,是乘倍斯瓦特公共汽车急忙赶来的。
    I'm Sir Mont James, and I came in a hurry by the Biswat bus.
    你已经把事情委托给一位侦探来办了吗?”
    Have you entrusted the matter to a detective?"
    “是的,先生。”
    "Yes, sir."
    “你准备付钱了吗?”
    "Are you ready to pay?"
    “要是我们能够找到我的朋友高夫利,他无疑是会付钱的。”
    "If we can find my friend Godfrey, he will undoubtedly pay."
    “可是如果找不到他呢?
    "But what if you can't find him?
    你回答这个问题!”
    Answer this question!"
    “要是这样,他家准会……”
    "If so, his family will..."


    IP属地:天津32楼2023-02-19 20:03
    回复
      2025-06-11 20:40:18
      广告
      这个小个子老头儿尖声喊道:“先生,不会有这样的事。
      The little old man shrieked out: "Sir, there will be no such thing.
      不要向我要一个便士——就是一个便士也不给。
      Don't ask me for a penny - not even a penny.
      侦探先生,你明白了吗?
      Detective, do you understand?
      这个年轻人只有我这一个亲人。
      This young man is only a relative of mine.
      但是,我告诉你,我不负任何责任。
      But I tell you that I'm not responsible.
      就因为我从来不浪费钱,他才有可能得到我的财产,可我还不想让他现在就继承。
      Just because I never waste money, he can get my property, but I don't want him to inherit it now.
      你随便动了这些文件,我可以告诉你,里面要是有什么值钱的东西,你可要负全部责任。”
      If you move these documents casually, I can tell you what's inside you should take full responsibility for the valuable things. "


      IP属地:天津33楼2023-02-19 20:25
      回复
        歇洛克·福尔摩斯说:“先生,就这样吧!
        Sherlock Holmes said, "Sir, that's it!
        同时我要问你,对于这个青年的失踪,你有责任没有?”
        At the same time, I want to ask you, are you responsible for the disappearance of this young man?"
        “没有,先生。
        "No, sir.
        他已经长大了,年纪不小了,可以自己照顾自己。
        He is old enough to take care of himself.
        他笨得自己看不住自己,我是完全不负找他的责任的。”
        He is too stupid to look after himself, I am not responsible for finding him."
        福尔摩斯眨了眨眼睛,用嘲笑的口吻说:“我十分理解您的意图,也许您并不理解我。
        Holmes blinked his eyes and said with a sneer, "I understand your intention very well, but maybe you don't understand me.
        人们一直认为高夫利·斯道顿是个穷人。
        People have always thought that Godfrey Storton is a poor man.
        他被劫持,那不会是因为他自己有财产。
        He was kidnapped, it can't be because he has his own property.
        蒙特·詹姆士爵士,你很阔气,你的名声是传播在外的,很可能是一伙强盗为了了解你的住宅、财宝等等情况,而把你的侄子劫走。”
        Sir Mont James, you are very rich, and your reputation is spread abroad, it is likely that a gang of robbers robbed your nephew in order to understand your house, treasure, and so on."


        IP属地:天津34楼2023-02-19 21:02
        回复
          这位使人没有好感的客人面色发白了,正好和他的白色领带相互映衬。
          The unwelcome guest turned pale and matched his white tie.
          “天啊,真可怕!
          "God, it's terrible!
          没想到会有人做这种坏事!
          I didn't expect that someone would do such a bad thing!
          世界上竟会有这种没人性的恶棍!
          There should be such an inhuman villain in the world!
          高夫利是个好孩子——一个顽强的孩子。
          Godfrey is a good child - a stubborn child.
          他决不会出卖他叔叔的。
          He will never betray his uncle.
          我今天晚上就把我的财物送到银行去。
          I will send my property to the bank tonight.
          侦探先生,我请求你不辞劳苦,一定把他安全地找回来。
          Mr. Detective, I ask you to spare no effort to find him safely.
          至于钱吗,五镑、十镑的您尽管找我要。”
          As for money, you can ask me for five pounds or ten pounds."


          IP属地:天津35楼2023-02-19 22:01
          回复
            这位高贵的吝啬鬼,即便他身上铜臭全无,也不会对我们有半点用处,因为他毫不了解他侄子的生活。
            This noble miser, even if he has no stink on his body, will not be of any use to us, because he knows nothing about his nephew's life.
            我们支走了蒙特·詹姆士爵士。
            We took away Sir Monte James.
            我们唯一的线索全在那份残存的电报上。
            Our only clue is in the remaining telegram.
            于是,福尔摩斯拿起一份抄录的残文,去寻找有关的线索。
            So Holmes picked up a copy of the excerpt and went to find relevant clues.
            欧沃顿也去找他的队员商量怎么应付这个意外的不幸。
            Orwharton also went to his team to discuss how to deal with this unexpected misfortune.


            IP属地:天津36楼2023-02-19 22:46
            回复
              离旅馆不远有个邮电局。我们走到邮电局门口,福尔摩斯说:“华生,可以试一下。
              There is a post office not far from the hotel, when we walked to the post office, Holmes said, "Watson, you can try it.
              当然,如果有证明,我们可以索取存根查对,可是现在弄不到证明。
              Of course, if there is a proof, we can ask for a stub to check it, but now we can't get the proof.
              我想邮局很忙,不会记住我们的相貌。
              I think the post office is busy and won't remember our appearance.
              我们冒险试一下。”
              Let's take a chance."
              他对着格栅后面的一位年轻妇女,若无其事地说:“麻烦您一下,昨天我拍的那个电报可能有点错误。
              He looked at a young woman behind the grille and said calmly, "excuse me, the telegram I sent yesterday may be a little wrong.
              因为我没有收到回电,我想怕是忘记在后面写上名字了。
              Because I didn't receive a reply, I'm afraid I forgot to write my name on the back.
              请您帮助我查找一下好吗?”
              Would you please help me find it?"


              IP属地:天津37楼2023-02-19 23:07
              回复
                她问:“什么时候拍的?”
                She asked, "when was it taken?"
                “六点过一点。”
                "It's a little past six."
                “拍给谁的?”
                "For whom?"


                IP属地:天津38楼2023-02-25 11:12
                回复
                  2025-06-11 20:34:18
                  广告
                  福尔摩斯把一个手指放到嘴唇上,并且看着我,表示不让我说出。
                  Holmes put a finger on his lips and looked at me, saying that he would not let me speak.
                  然后,他很自信地低声说:“电报上最后的几个字是'看在上帝的面上支持我们'。
                  Then, he said confidently in a low voice, " the last words on the telegram are 'support us for God's sake'.
                  我很急于收到回电。”
                  I am eager to receive a reply."
                  这位青年妇女抽出一张存根。
                  The young woman drew out a stub.
                  她说:“就是这张。
                  She said, " this is it.
                  上面没有名字。"
                  There is no name on it."
                  然后,她把存根平铺在柜台上。
                  Then she spread the stub on the counter.


                  IP属地:天津39楼2023-02-25 11:49
                  回复
                    福尔摩斯说:“怪不得我没有收到回电。
                    Holmes said, " no wonder I didn't receive a reply.
                    哎呀,我太蠢了!
                    Oh, I'm stupid!
                    早安,女士,谢谢您使我弄清了。"
                    Good morning, madam, thank you for making me clear."
                    等我们走到街上的时候,福尔摩斯一面搓着手一面格格地笑了。
                    When we walked into the street, Holmes rubbed his hands and giggled.
                    我问:“怎么样?”
                    I asked, "how is it?"
                    “大有进展。
                    "Great progress.
                    华生,我想了七种可以看到那个电报存根的办法,可是我没想到这样省事,第一次便成功了。”
                    Watson, I have thought of seven ways to see the telegram stub, but I didn't think it would be so easy, I succeeded the first time."
                    “你得到了什么情况呢?”
                    "What did you get?"
                    他说:“我知道了从哪儿着手调查。”
                    He said, "I know where to start the investigation."
                    他叫了一辆马车,去帝国十字街火车站。
                    He called a carriage and went to the Imperial Cross Station.


                    IP属地:天津40楼2023-02-25 11:51
                    回复
                      “我们去的地方很远吗?”
                      "Are we far away?"
                      “是的,我们必须去一趟剑桥。
                      "Yes, we must go to Cambridge.
                      似乎所有的迹象全和剑桥有关。”
                      It seems that all the signs are related to Cambridge."


                      IP属地:天津41楼2023-02-25 11:53
                      回复
                        当我们驶过格雷饭店大路的时候,我又问道:“对于斯道顿失踪的原因,你怎样考虑呢?
                        When we drove across the main road of the Gray Hotel, I asked again: "how do you think about the reason for the disappearance of Storton?
                        我们办的案子里还没有一个是肇事动机不明的。
                        None of the cases we handled is of unknown motive.
                        你并不认为劫持斯道顿的目的是为了得到他的阔叔叔的钱吧?”
                        You don't think the purpose of hijacking Storton is to get his rich uncle's money?"
                        “亲爱的华生,我承认,我并不那样认为,当时我突然想到这一点,因为这样才能引起那个讨厌的老头子的兴趣。”
                        "My dear Watson, I admit that I don't think so, I suddenly thought of this at that time, because it can arouse the interest of that annoying old man."


                        IP属地:天津42楼2023-02-25 12:31
                        回复
                          “确实只能这样说,不过,你实际上怎样考虑呢?”
                          "I can only say that, but how do you actually think about it?"
                          “我可以谈几点。
                          "I can talk about a few points.
                          我们要看到,事情发生在这场重要比赛的前夕,而且牵涉到一个关系全队胜负的队员。
                          We should see that it happened on the eve of this important match, and it involved a member of the whole team
                          当然,这两个因素可能是巧合,不过倒很有意思。
                          Of course, these two factors may be coincidence, but they are very interesting.
                          业余比赛是不许打赌的,但是在公众中有些人在场外打赌,就象赛马场的流氓在赛马上下赌注一样。
                          Amateur games are not allowed to bet, but some people in the public bet outside the field, just like the hooligans in the racetrack bet on the horse.
                          这是一种解释。
                          This is an explanation.
                          第二个理由是明摆着的,这个青年虽然现在没有钱,但他将来确实要继承大笔钱财,扣留他是为了得到赎金,这也是很可能的事。”
                          The second reason is obvious although youngman has no money now, he will indeed inherit a large amount of money in the future, it is also possible to detain him to get a ransom. "


                          IP属地:天津43楼2023-02-25 13:04
                          回复
                            “这两种说法全不能解释电报的问题。”
                            "Neither of these two statements can explain the problem of telegraphy."
                            “是的,华生,电报仍然是我们必须解决的难题,而且我们也不应当分散注意力。
                            "Yes, Watson, the telegram is still a difficult problem that we must solve, and we should not be distracted.
                            我们去剑桥正是为了弄清打这封电报的目的是什么。
                            We went to Cambridge just to find out what the purpose of sending this telegram is.
                            我们怎样侦查现在还不清楚,不过一定要在天黑以前确定下来,或是有个眉目。”
                            It is not clear how we investigate, but we must make sure before dark, or have an eye."


                            IP属地:天津44楼2023-02-25 14:50
                            回复
                              2025-06-11 20:28:18
                              广告
                              当我们来到古老的大学城的时候,天已经黑了,福尔摩斯在火车站叫了一辆马车,让驾驶到莱斯利·阿姆斯昌大夫家中。
                              When we came to the old university city, it was dark, Holmes called a carriage at the railway station and asked it to drive to the house of Dr. Leslie Amschang.
                              几分钟后,我们的马车驶进一条繁华的街道,在一栋豪华的房子前面停了下来。
                              A few minutes later, our carriage drove into a busy street and stopped in front of a luxurious house.
                              一个仆人把我们领了进去,等了很久我们才被引到诊疗室,这位大夫坐在桌子后面。
                              A servant led us in and waited a long time before we were led to the clinic, the doctor sat behind the table.


                              IP属地:天津45楼2023-02-25 14:56
                              回复