英国古典文学吧 关注:481贴子:45,925

失踪的中卫 归来记 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

取消只看楼主收藏回复

在贝克街我们常常收到一些内容离奇的电报,这本来是不值一提的。
In Baker Street, we often receive some bizarre telegrams, which are not worth mentioning.
可是,七八年前,在二月一个阴沉沉的早晨收到的那封,却给我印象很深,并且使得歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生也迷惑了足有一刻钟之久。
However, the letter I received seven or eight years ago on a gloomy morning in February impressed me deeply and puzzled Mr. Sherlock Holmes for a quarter of an hour.
电报是拍给他的,电文如下:
The telegram was sent to him as follows:
请等候我。 万分不幸。 右中卫失踪。 明日需要。
Please wait for me. It is extremely unfortunate. The right central guard is missing. We need it tomorrow.
欧沃顿
Orwaton


IP属地:天津1楼2023-02-11 16:14回复
    福尔摩斯看了又看,说:“河滨的邮戳,十点三十六分发的。
    Holmes looked at it again and said, " the postmark on the riverside was distributed at 10:36.
    显然欧沃顿先生拍电报时心情很激动,所以电报才语无伦次。
    It was obvious that Mr. Orwharton was very excited when he sent the telegram, so the telegram was incoherent.
    我断定等我读完《泰晤士报》,他一定会赶到这里,那时我们就能知道一切了。"
    I was sure that when I finished reading the Times, he would arrive here, and then we would know everything."
    在那段时间里我们工作不很忙,因此,就是最无关紧要的问题,也同样是受欢迎的。
    During that time, we were not very busy, so even the most unimportant issue was also popular.


    IP属地:天津2楼2023-02-18 09:56
    回复
      经验告诉我,无所事事的生活是很可怕的,因为我的朋友头脑过于活跃,如果没有什么事情让他思考,那就很危险。
      Experience tells me that idleness is terrible because my friend is too active, if there is nothing for him to think about, it is very dangerous.
      经过我的努力,他停止服用刺激剂,已经有好几年了,因为这种药物曾经一度妨碍他从事他的富有意义的事业。
      After my efforts, he stopped taking stimulants for several years, because this drug once hindered him from pursuing his meaningful career.
      现在,一般情况下福尔摩斯不需要再服用这种人造的刺激剂了。
      Now, generally, Holmes does not need to take this artificial stimulant.
      但是,我很明白,他的病症并没有消除,只是潜伏下来了,并且潜伏得很深,当事情少的时候,还会复发。
      However, I know very well that his illness has not been eliminated, but has just lurked down and lurked deeply, when things are few, it will recur.
      在那种情况下,我看到过福尔摩斯两眼深陷,面容阴郁,看上去令人莫测高深。
      In that case, I have seen Holmes with deep eyes and gloomy face, he looks unpredictable.
      所以,不管欧沃顿是什么人,他既然带来了不解之谜,我就要感谢他,因为风平浪静要比狂风暴雨更使我的朋友感到痛苦。
      So, no matter who Orwharton is, since he has brought unsolved mysteries, I should thank him, because calm is more painful for my friends than storm.


      IP属地:天津3楼2023-02-18 10:27
      回复
        正如我们所料,发报人紧随电报亲自登门了。
        As we expected, the sender followed the telegram and personally came to the door.
        他的名片上印着:剑桥,三一学院,西锐利·欧沃顿。
        His business card was printed: Cambridge, Trinity College, Ciri Orwaton.
        走进来的是一位身材魁梧的年轻人,足有十六石重,他宽阔的身体把屋门都堵住了,他的相貌英俊,但是面容憔悴,无神的眼睛缓缓地打量着我们——
        In came a burly young man, weighing sixteen stones, his broad body blocked the door of the house, he was handsome, but his face was haggard, his eyes looked at us slowly——


        IP属地:天津4楼2023-02-18 11:32
        回复
          “哪位是歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生?”
          "Who is Mr. Sherlock Holmes?"
          我的朋友点了点头。
          My friend nodded.
          “福尔摩斯先生,我去过苏格兰场,见到了侦探霍普金。
          "Mr. Holmes, I have been to Scotland Yard and met Detective Hopkin.
          他建议我来找您。
          He suggested that I come to you.
          他说,在他看来,我这个案件由您解决更适当一些,不必找官方侦探。”
          He said, in his opinion, it is more appropriate for you to solve my case, and there is no need to find an official detective."
          “请坐,把您的问题告诉我们吧!”
          "Please sit down and tell us your question!"


          IP属地:天津5楼2023-02-18 12:13
          回复
            “福尔摩斯先生,事情真糟,糟糕极了!
            "Mr. Holmes, it's really bad, it's terrible!
            我的头发都快急白了。
            My hair is going to turn white.
            高夫利·斯道顿——您听说过这个名字吧?
            Godfrey Storton - have you heard of that name?
            他是全队的灵魂。
            He is the soul of the whole team.
            我宁愿在中卫线上只有斯道顿,不要另外那两个。
            I would rather have Storton in the center line than the other two.
            不论是传球、运球、还是抢球,没人能够赶得上他。
            No one can catch up with him, whether it's passing, dribbling or robbing.
            他是核心,可以把我们全队带动起来。
            He is the core, and can drive our whole team.
            我怎么办呢?
            What can I do?
            福尔摩斯先生,我来请教您该怎么办。
            Mr. Holmes, I'll invite you I'll show you what to do.
            当然有莫尔豪斯替补,他是踢前卫的,但是他总是喜欢挤进去争球,而不是守在边线上。
            Of course, there is a substitute for Morehouse, he plays avant-garde football, but he always likes to squeeze in and fight for the ball instead of defending on the sidelines.
            他定位球踢得很好,但是他不会判断情况,而且不善于拼抢,牛津的两员宿将,莫尔顿或约翰逊,可能会死死地缠住他。
            He plays set pieces very well, but he can't judge the situation and is not good at fighting, the two veteran Oxford players, Morton or Johnson, may cling to him.
            斯蒂文逊跑得很快,但是他不会在二十五码远的地方踢落地球。
            Stevenson runs very fast, but he won't kick the earth 25 yards away.
            而一个中卫既不会踢落地球,又不能踢空球,根本就不配参加比赛。
            And a central defender can neither kick the ball to the ground nor play the empty ball, so he is not worthy to participate in the game.
            福尔摩斯先生,您若是不帮助我们找到高夫利·斯道顿,我准输了。”
            Mr. Holmes, if you don't help us find Godfrey Storton, I will lose. "


            IP属地:天津6楼2023-02-18 13:05
            回复
              我的朋友神情专注,津津有味地听着。
              My friend listened attentively.
              这位客人急切地诉说着,他强壮的手臂不时地拍着自己的膝盖,力求使每句话都得到别人充分的理解。
              The guest said eagerly, his strong arm patted his knee from time to time, trying to make every sentence fully understood by others.
              客人的话刚一停下来,福尔摩斯便取出有"S"字母的那一卷资料。
              As soon as the guest stopped, Holmes took out the volume of information with the letter "S".
              从这一卷内容丰富的资料中他没有查到什么。
              He didn't find anything in this volume of rich information.


              IP属地:天津7楼2023-02-18 14:07
              回复
                他说:“有阿瑟·H·斯道顿,一个发了财的年轻的伪造纸币者。
                He said, " there is Arthur H. Storton, a young banknote counterfeiter who made a fortune.
                有亨利·斯道顿,我协助警察把这个人绞死了。
                There is Henry Storton, who I helped the police to hang.
                可是高夫利·斯道顿这个名字我以前却没有听说过。”
                But I haven't heard of the name of Godfrey Storton before."
                我们的客人露出惊讶的样子。
                Our guests looked surprised.
                他说:“福尔摩斯先生,我以为您什么都知道。
                He said, "Mr. Holmes, I thought you knew everything.
                如果您没有听说过高夫利·斯道顿,您也就不会知道西锐利·欧沃顿了。”
                If you hadn't heard of Godfrey Storton, you wouldn't have known about Ciri Orwaton."


                IP属地:天津8楼2023-02-18 14:54
                回复
                  福尔摩斯微笑地摇了摇头。
                  Holmes smiled and shook his head.
                  这位运动员说:“大侦探先生!
                  The athlete said: "Mr. Detective!
                  在英格兰和威尔士的比赛中,我的球队是英格兰的第一队。
                  In the match between England and Wales, my team is the first team in England.
                  我是大学生队的领队,不过,你不知道也没有什么关系!
                  I am the leader of the college team, but it doesn't matter if you don't know it!
                  我想在英国每个人都知道高夫利·斯道顿。
                  I think everyone in England knows about Godfrey Storton.
                  他是最好的中卫,剑桥队、布莱克希斯队和国家队都请他打中卫,而且国家队请了他五次。
                  He is the best centre-back. Cambridge, BlackHeath and the national team have invited him to play centre-back, and the national team has invited him five times.
                  福尔摩斯先生,您原来住在英国吗?”
                  Mr. Holmes, did you live in England?"
                  福尔摩斯对这位天真的巨人笑了一笑。
                  Holmes smiled at the naive giant.


                  IP属地:天津9楼2023-02-18 15:36
                  回复
                    “欧沃顿先生,你的生活范围和我的不一样,你生活在一个更愉快更健康的范围里。
                    "Mr. Orwharton, your life range is different from mine, you live in a happier and healthier range.
                    我和社会上的各界人士几乎全有接触,可就是和体育界人士没有来往,而业余体育运动是英国最有意义、最有益于健康的事业。
                    I have almost all contacts with people from all walks of life in the society, but I have no contact with people in the sports industry, and amateur sports is the most meaningful and healthy cause in Britain.
                    您这次意外的光临说明,就是在最讲究规则的户外运动方面,我也有事可做。
                    Your unexpected visit shows that I have something to do in the most rule-oriented outdoor sports.
                    那么,请你坐下来,慢慢地安静地确切地告诉我们出了什么事,以及你要我怎样帮助你。”
                    Then, please sit down Come down and slowly and quietly tell us exactly what happened and how you want me to help you. "


                    IP属地:天津10楼2023-02-18 16:21
                    回复
                      欧沃顿的脸上露出了不耐烦的样子,那种样子正象惯于使用体力而不用脑力的人所常有的那样。
                      There was a look of impatience on Orwaton's face, which was just like that of people who used to use physical strength instead of mental strength.
                      他开始给我们一点一点地讲述这个奇怪的故事,他的叙述中有许多重复和模糊之处,我便把它们删去了。
                      He began to tell us this strange story bit by bit, there were many repetition and ambiguity in his story, so I deleted them.
                      “福尔摩斯先生,事情是这样的。
                      "Mr. Holmes, this is the case.
                      我已经和您说过,我是剑桥大学橄榄球队的领队,高夫利·斯道顿是最好的队员。
                      I have already told you that I am the leader of the Cambridge University football team, and Gavley Storton is the best player.
                      明天我们和牛津大学比赛。
                      Tomorrow we will play with Oxford University.
                      昨天我们来到这里,住在班特莱旅馆。
                      Yesterday we came here and stayed at the Bentley Hotel.
                      晚上十点钟,我去看了看,所有的队员全休息了,因为我相信严格的训练和充足的睡眠可以保持这个队的良好竞技状态。
                      At 10 o'clock in the evening, I went to see it, and all the players have rested, because I believe that strict training and adequate sleep can keep the team in good competitive condition.
                      我看见斯道顿脸色发白,似乎心情很不安。
                      I saw that Storton was pale and seemed very upset.
                      我问他是怎么一回事,他说没有什么,不过有点头疼。
                      I asked him what was the matter, and he said nothing, but he had a headache.
                      我向他道了晚安便走了。
                      I said good night to him and left.
                      半小时后,旅馆服务员对我说有一个长着满脸胡须、衣着简陋的人拿着一封信要找高夫利。
                      Half an hour later, the hotel attendant said to me that a bearded, poorly dressed man was looking for Govley with a letter.


                      IP属地:天津11楼2023-02-18 17:29
                      回复
                        高夫利已经上床睡了,所以服务员把信送到他屋子里。
                        Godfrey had gone to bed, so the waiter sent the letter to his room.
                        谁知他读过信,一下子就瘫倒在椅子上,好象是被谁用斧子砍了似的。
                        However, after reading the letter, he collapsed on the chair, as if someone had cut him with an axe.
                        服务员很惊讶,要去找我,高夫利阻止了服务员,喝了一点水又振作起来。然后他走下楼,和在大门里等候的人说了几句话,两个人便一起走出去了。
                        The waiter was surprised and wanted to find me. Govley stopped the waiter, drank a little water and cheered up. Then he went downstairs and said a few words to the people waiting at the gate, and the two went out together.
                        服务员看到的最后情景是他们二人在大街上朝着河滩跑去。
                        The last scene the waiter saw was the two of them running towards the beach on the street.


                        IP属地:天津12楼2023-02-18 18:33
                        回复
                          今天早上高夫利的房间是空的,没有人睡过,他的东西一点未动,还是象我昨天晚上看到的那样。
                          Godfrey's room was empty this morning, and no one had slept. His things didn't move at all, as I saw last night.
                          那个陌生人来找他,他立刻随那人走了,再也没有音信,我想他不会回来了。
                          The stranger came to look for him, he immediately followed the man and never heard from him again, I don't think he will come back.
                          高夫利是个真正的运动员,他打心眼里喜欢运动,要不是受到什么沉重的打击,他决不会退出比赛,决不会骗其他的领队。”
                          Godfrey is a real athlete. He likes sports in his heart, if he hadn't been hit hard, he would never quit the game and cheat other team leaders.
                          我觉得他是永远回不来了,我们不会再见到他了。
                          I think he will never come back. We won't see him again. "


                          IP属地:天津13楼2023-02-18 19:10
                          回复
                            福尔摩斯很感兴趣地听着他叙述这件怪事。
                            Holmes listened with interest to his account of the strange event.
                            他问:“你采取什么措施了吗?”
                            He asked, "have you taken any measures?"
                            “我打电报给剑桥,问他们是否知道他的消息。
                            "I sent a telegram to Cambridge and asked them if they knew his news.
                            回答是没有人看见过他。”
                            The answer was that no one had seen him."
                            “他能回到剑桥去吗?”
                            "Can he go back to Cambridge?"
                            “是的,有一趟晚车——十一点一刻开。”
                            "Yes, there is a late train - it leaves at a quarter past eleven."
                            “可是,按照你的判断,他没有乘这趟火车?”
                            "But, according to your judgment, he didn't take this train?"
                            “是的,没有人看见过他。”
                            "Yes, no one has seen him."
                            “后来呢?”
                            "What happened later?"
                            “我又打电报给蒙特·詹姆士爵士。”
                            "I telegraphed Sir Monte James again."


                            IP属地:天津14楼2023-02-18 19:44
                            回复
                              “为什么给他打呢?”
                              "Why call him?"
                              “高夫利是个孤儿,蒙特·詹姆士是他最近的亲属——大概是他的叔父。”
                              "Godfrey is an orphan, and Monte James is his closest relative - probably his uncle."
                              “这对于解决问题或许会有帮助。
                              "This may help solve the problem.
                              蒙特·詹姆士爵士是英国最富有的。”
                              Sir Mont James is the richest man in Britain."
                              “我听高夫利这样说过。”
                              "I heard Govley say that."
                              “高夫利是他的近亲?”
                              "Godfrey is his close relative?"
                              “是的,高夫利是继承人,老爵士已经快八十岁了,而且风湿病很重,人们说他可能快要死了。
                              "Yes, Godfrey is the heir, the old knight is nearly eighty years old, and the rheumatism is very serious, people say that he may die soon, he never gives Godfrey a shilling.
                              他从来不给高夫利一个先令,他是个地道的守财奴,可是财产早晚都要归高夫利。”
                              He is a real miser, but the property will belong to Godfrey sooner or later."


                              IP属地:天津15楼2023-02-18 20:17
                              回复