英国古典文学吧 关注:481贴子:45,913

回复:海军协定 回忆录系列 英 阿瑟·柯南·道尔

取消只看楼主收藏回复

你肯定那不是撬门用的撬棍吗?”
Are you sure that's not the crowbar used to pry the door? "
“啊,不,是一把刀。
"Oh, no, it's a knife.
我很清楚地看到刀光一闪。”
I clearly saw the knife flash. "
“可是究竟为什么会怀有那样深的仇恨来袭击你呢?”
"But why on earth do you have such deep hatred to attack you?"
“啊,问题就在这里了。”
"Ah, that's the problem."


IP属地:天津158楼2022-10-08 23:05
回复
    “好,如果福尔摩斯也这样看,那么这就可以说明他采取这一行动的原因。
    "Well, if Holmes sees it that way, then this can explain why he took this action.
    对吗?
    Right?
    假设你的想法是对的,他能抓住那个昨夜威胁过你的人,那他就向找到偷海军协定的人这个目标前进了一大步。
    Assuming that your idea is right, and he can catch the man who threatened you last night, then he has made a big step towards the goal of finding the man who stole the naval agreement.
    若设想你有两个仇 人。
    Imagine you have two enemies.
    一个偷了你的东西,另一个来威胁你的生命,那未免太荒谬可笑了。”
    It's ridiculous that one steals from you and the other threatens your life. "


    IP属地:天津159楼2022-10-08 23:09
    回复
      “可是福尔摩斯说他不回布里尔布雷去。”
      "But Holmes said he wouldn't go back to Brierbury."
      “我了解他不是一天半天了,”我说道,“我还从来没见过他没有充分理由就去做什么事情。”
      "I've known him for more than a day and a half," I said. "I've never seen him do anything without a good reason."
      说到这里,我们便转入了其他话题。
      Here, we turn to other topics.


      IP属地:天津160楼2022-10-09 09:27
      回复
        可是这一天把我弄得疲惫不堪。
        But this day has exhausted me.
        费尔普斯久病之后依然虚弱,他所遭遇的不幸更加使他易于激怒,紧张不安。
        Phelps is still weak after a long illness, and his misfortune makes him more easily irritated and nervous.
        我尽力讲一些我在阿富汗、在印度的往事,讲一些社会问题,讲一些能给他消愁解闷的事,来使他开心,但都无济于事。
        I tried my best to tell some stories about my past in Afghanistan and India, some social problems, and some things that could relieve his worries and boredom to make him happy, but to no avail.
        他总是念念不忘那份丢失的协定,他惊异着,猜测着,思索着,想知道福尔摩斯正在做什么,霍尔德赫斯特勋爵正在采取什么措施,明天早晨我们会听到什么消息。
        He is always obsessed with the lost agreement, he is amazed, guessing and thinking, wondering what Holmes is doing, what measures Lord Holderhurst is taking, and what news we will hear tomorrow morning.
        夜色深沉之后,他由激动变得痛苦异常。
        After the dark night, he changed from excitement to pain.


        IP属地:天津161楼2022-10-09 10:02
        回复
          “不过你很了解他,华生。
          "But you know him well, Watson
          他是一个如此不可思议的人物,我永远也不知如何去理解他。
          . He is such an incredible figure that I will never know how to understand him.
          你认为他有希望成功吗?
          Do you think he has a chance of success?
          你认为他打算侦破这件案子吗?”
          Do you think he intends to solve this case? "
          “他什么也没说。”
          "He didn't say anything."
          “这不是一个好兆头。”
          "This is not a good sign."


          IP属地:天津163楼2022-10-09 11:18
          回复
            “恰恰相反。
            "On the contrary.
            我曾经注意到,他失去线索的时候总是说失去了线索。
            I once noticed that when he lost his clue, he always said he lost it.
            在他查到一点线索而又没有十分把握的时候,他就特别沉默寡言。
            When he finds a clue but is not quite sure, he is very taciturn.
            现在,我亲爱的朋友,为这事使自己心神不安,丝毫于事无益,我劝你快上床安睡,明天早上不管消息好坏,都能精神饱满地去处理。”
            Now, my dear friend, it's no use worrying yourself about this matter, I advise you to go to bed and sleep quickly, and you can deal with it with good or bad news tomorrow morning. "


            IP属地:天津164楼2022-10-09 11:43
            回复
              我终于说服我的同伴接受了我的劝告,但我从他激动的神态看出,他是没有希望安睡的。
              I finally persuaded my companion to accept my advice, but I saw from his excited manner that he had no hope of sleeping peacefully.
              确实,他的情绪也影响了我,我自己也在床上辗转了半夜,不能入睡,仔细盘算这个奇怪的问题,作了无数的推论,一个比一个不能成立。
              Indeed, his mood also influenced me. I myself tossed and turned in bed for the middle of the night, unable to sleep, I carefully calculated this strange question and made numerous inferences, each of which failed to hold water.
              福尔摩斯为什么留在沃金呢?
              Why did Holmes stay in Woking?
              为什么他要哈里森小姐整天留在病房里呢?
              Why does he want Miss Harrison to stay in the ward all day?
              为什么他那么小心谨慎,不让布里尔布雷的人知道他打算留在他们附近呢?
              Why is he so careful not to let the people in Brirbray know that he intends to stay near them?
              我绞尽脑汁竭力寻找符合这一切事实的解答,最后才渐渐入睡。
              I racked my brains trying to find the answer to all these facts, and finally I gradually fell asleep.


              IP属地:天津165楼2022-10-09 12:00
              回复
                我一觉醒来,已经七点钟了,便立即起身到费尔普斯房里,发现他容颜憔悴,一定是彻夜未眠。
                When I woke up, it was already seven o'clock, I immediately got up and went to phelps's room, I found his face gaunt, he must have stayed up all night.
                他第一句话就问福尔摩斯是否已经回来。
                The first thing he did was ask Holmes if he had come back.
                “他既然答应来,”我说道,“就一定会准时来的。”
                "Since he promised to come," I said, "he will definitely come on time."
                我的话果然不错,八点刚过,一辆马车疾驰到门前,我的朋友从车上跳下来。
                What I said was really good, just after eight o'clock, a carriage galloped to the door and my friend jumped out of it.
                我们站在窗前,看到他左手缠着绷带,面色严肃而苍白。。
                We stood by the window and saw his left hand bandaged, and his face was serious and pale.
                他走进宅内,过了一会才来到楼上
                He went into the house and came upstairs after a while.


                IP属地:天津166楼2022-10-09 12:31
                回复
                  “他似乎精疲力尽了,”费尔普斯喊道。
                  "He seems exhausted," phelps shouted.
                  我不得不承认他说得对。
                  I have to admit that he is right.
                  “毕竟,”我说道,“这件案子的线索可能还是在城里。”
                  "After all," I said, "the clue to this case may still be in the city."
                  费尔普斯呻吟了一声。
                  Phelps let out a moan.
                  “我不知道这是怎么回事,”他说道,“可是我对他回来抱有那么多的希望。
                  "I don't know what's going on," he said, "but I have so much hope for his return.
                  不过他的手昨天并没有象这样缠着。
                  However, his hand was not entangled like this yesterday.
                  这究竟是怎么回事呢?”
                  What the hell is going on? "
                  “福尔摩斯,你没有受伤吗?”我的朋友走进屋内时,我问道。
                  "Holmes, aren't you hurt?" I asked when my friend came into the room.


                  IP属地:天津167楼2022-10-09 12:56
                  回复
                    “唉,这不过是由于我手脚笨拙,擦伤了点皮,”他一面点头向我们问候,一面回答道,“费尔普斯先生,你这件案子,同我过去查办过的所有案子相比,确实是最隐秘的了。”
                    "Alas, it's just that I'm clumsy and bruised," he replied, nodding to greet us, "Mr. phelps, your case is really the most secretive compared with all the cases I've investigated in the past."
                    “我怕你对这案子是力不从心了。”
                    "I'm afraid you're overwhelmed with this case."
                    “这是一次十分奇异的经历。”
                    "This is a very strange experience."


                    IP属地:天津168楼2022-10-09 13:20
                    回复
                      “你手上的绷带就说明你曾经历过险,”我说道,“你能不能告诉我们发生了什么事?”
                      "The bandage on your hand means that you have been in danger," I said, " can you tell us what happened?"
                      “等吃过早餐再说吧,我亲爱的华生。
                      "Let's talk about it after breakfast, my dear Watson.
                      别忘了今天早晨我从萨里赶了三十英里路。
                      Don't forget that I drove thirty miles from Surrey this morning.
                      大概,我那份寻找马车的广告还没有着落吧?
                      Probably, my advertisement for looking for a carriage hasn't landed yet?
                      好了,好了,我们不能指望一切都顺利。”
                      Well, well, we can't expect everything to go smoothly. "
                      餐桌已经准备好了,我刚要按铃,赫德森太太就把茶点和咖啡送来了。
                      The table is ready. I was just about to ring the bell when Mrs Hudson brought tea and coffee.
                      几分钟以后,她又送上三份早餐,我们一齐就坐,福尔摩斯狼吞虎咽地吃起来,我好奇地望着,费尔普斯闷闷不乐,垂头丧气。
                      A few minutes later, she served three more breakfasts, and we sat together, while Holmes devoured them, I watched curiously, and phelps was unhappy and depressed.


                      IP属地:天津169楼2022-10-09 13:42
                      回复
                        “赫德森太太很善于应急,”福尔摩斯把一盘咖喱鸡的盖子打开说道,“她会做的菜有限,可是象苏格兰女人一样,这份早餐想得很妙。
                        "Mrs Hudson is very good at emergency," Holmes said, opening the lid of a plate of chicken curry, " she can cook only a limited number of dishes, but like Scottish women, this breakfast is a wonderful one.
                        华生,你那是什么菜?”
                        Watson, what is your dish? "
                        “一份火腿蛋,”我答道。
                        "A ham and eggs," I replied.
                        “太好了! 费尔普斯先生,你喜欢吃什么,咖喱鸡还是火腿蛋?
                        "That's great! Mr. phelps, what do you like to eat, chicken curry or ham and eggs?
                        要不然,就请你吃你自己那一份吧。”
                        Otherwise, please eat your own share. "
                        “谢谢你,我什么也吃不下去,”费尔普斯说道。
                        "Thank you, I can't eat anything," said phelps.
                        “啊,来吧!请吃一点你面前那一份。”
                        "Oh, come on! Please have a little of the one in front of you. "
                        “谢谢你,我确实不想吃。”
                        "Thank you, I really don't want to eat."


                        IP属地:天津170楼2022-10-09 14:01
                        回复
                          “好,那么,”福尔摩斯调皮地眨了眨眼,说道,“我想你不会拒绝我的好意吧。”
                          "Well, then," Holmes said with a mischievous wink, "I don't think you will refuse my kindness."
                          费尔普斯打开盖子,他刚一打开,突然发出一声尖叫,面色象菜盘一样苍白,坐在那里呆呆地望着盘内。
                          Phelps opened the lid, as soon as he opened it, he suddenly let out a scream, his face was as pale as a dish, and he sat there staring at the dish.
                          原来盘内放着一个蓝灰色小纸卷。
                          There was a small blue-gray paper roll in the tray.
                          他一把抓起来,双眼直愣愣地看着,然后把那纸卷按在胸前,高兴得尖声喊叫,在室内如痴如狂地手舞足蹈起来,然后倒在一张扶手椅中,由于过分激动而软弱不堪,筋疲力尽。
                          He grabbed it, looked at it with his eyes straight at wait for a while, then pressed the paper roll to his chest, screamed with joy, danced wildly indoors, and then fell into an armchair, weak and exhausted from excessive excitement.
                          我们只好给他灌了一点白兰地,使他不至昏厥过去。
                          We had to give him a little brandy to keep him from fainting.


                          IP属地:天津171楼2022-10-09 14:15
                          回复
                            “好啦! 好啦!”福尔摩斯轻轻拍着费尔普斯的肩膀,安慰他说,“象这样突然把它放到你面前,实在是太糟糕了,不过华生会告诉你,我总是忍不住想把事情做得带点戏剧性。”
                            "It's okay! Ok! " Holmes patted phelps on the shoulder and comforted him, saying, "it's too bad to put it in front of you suddenly like this, but Watson will tell you that I can't help but want to do something dramatic."
                            费尔普斯抓着福尔摩斯的手吻个不停。
                            Phelps grabbed Holmes' hand and kept kissing.
                            “上帝保佑你!”他大声喊道,“你挽救了我的荣誉。”
                            "God bless you!" He shouted, "You saved my honor."
                            “好啦,你知道,这也关系着我自己的荣誉,”福尔摩斯说道,“我应该请你放心,我办案失败,和你受托失信一样,都是不愉快的。”
                            "Well, you know, it's also related to my own honor," Holmes said, "I should assure you that my failure in handling a case is as unpleasant as your breach of trust."


                            IP属地:天津172楼2022-10-09 14:42
                            回复
                              费尔普斯把这份珍贵文件揣进他上衣里面贴身的口袋。
                              Put this precious document of phelps in his coat pocket.
                              “我虽不想再打扰你吃早餐,可是我是渴望知道你是怎样把它弄到手,在哪里找到的。”
                              "Although I don't want to disturb your breakfast again, I am eager to know how you got it and where you found it."
                              歇洛克-福尔摩斯喝完一杯咖啡,又把火腿蛋吃完,然后站起身来,点上烟斗,安然坐到椅子上。
                              Sherlock Holmes finished a cup of coffee and ham and eggs, then stood up, lit a pipe and sat down in a chair.


                              IP属地:天津173楼2022-10-09 15:03
                              回复