下面的是英国民间童谣集里的《是谁杀了知更鸟》,
以后的文里会用到这篇童谣来迎造气氛。
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the Sparrow,with my bow and arrow,I killed Cock Robin.
(谁杀了知更鸟?是我,麻雀说,我杀了知更鸟,用我的弓和箭。)
Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,with my little eye,I saw him die.
(谁看到他死?是我,苍蝇说,我看到他死,用我的小眼睛。)
Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,with my little dish,I caught his blood
(谁取走他的血?是我,鱼说,我取走他的血,用我的小碟子。)
.Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the Beetle,with my thread and needle,I'll make the shroud.
(谁来做寿衣?是我,甲虫说,我将为他做寿衣,用我的针和线。)
Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,with my pick and shovel,I'll dig his grave.
(谁来挖坟墓?是我,猫头鹰说,我将为他挖坟墓,用我的凿子和铲子。)
Who'll be the parson?
I, said the Rook,with my little book,I'll be the parson.
(谁来当牧师?是我,乌鸦说,我将为他当牧师,用我的小本子。)
Who'll be the clerk?
I, said the Lark,if it's not in the dark,I'll be the clerk.
(谁来当执事?是我,云雀说,如果不是在暗处,我将当执事。)
Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,I'll fetch it in a minute,I'll carry the link.
(谁拿火炬来?是我,红雀说,我将拿它片刻。我将拿火炬来。)
Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,I mourn for my love,I'll be chief mourner.
(谁来当主祭?是我,鸽子说,我将当主祭。为吾爱哀悼。)
Who'll carry the coffin?
I, said the Kite,if it's not through the night,I'll carry the coffin.
(谁来抬棺?是我,鸢说,若不经过夜晚,我将抬棺。)
Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,both the cock and the hen,We'll bear the pall.
(谁来扶棺?是我们,鹪鹩说,还有公鸡和母鸡,我们将扶棺。)
Who'll sing a psalm?
I, said the Thrush,as she sat on a bush,I'll sing a psalm.
(谁来唱赞美诗?是我,画眉说,当他埋入灌木丛中,我将唱赞美诗。)
Who'll toll the bell?
I said the Bull,because I can pull,I'll toll the bell
(谁来敲丧钟?是我,牛说,因为我可以拉钟。)
.All the birds of the airfell a-sighing and a-sobbing,when they heard the bell tollfor poor Cock Robin.
(所以,再会了,知更鸟。
当丧钟 为那可怜的知更鸟响起,空中所有的鸟 都悲叹哭泣。)